Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Another - what would you choose

Thanks yeah spoke to the owner and seems a nice chap. Don't think there is anything hidden but I suppose it's about the mileage to possibly start monitoring bottom end.
Theres also the logistics as every other car seems to be 400+ miles from me and I don't have time to go see anything at the moment.

Said earlier by someone in this thread. WAIT for the one to come up. I say this as someone who has missed out twice on "The One" because I was impatient and bought other cars.

Also prices will stabilize between now and December. as private sellers continue to offer cars. After Christmas, the only sellers are the Trade and they will push the prices up as much as possible before private sellers come on the market again in late spring. But if you wait, you can save more money and get the car you really want rather than settle.

Definitely go and look at as many as possible in the intervening time though. It will give you more knowledge to gauge if your looking at a truly clean example, plus experience in dealing with the "Mike Brewers" of this world.

I know what your saying, I've had over 50 cars so have a little experience haha.

I've been watching market for last 6 to 8 weeks so have an idea on what's going on. As per what Marky911 said I'd like something I can tinker with as well otherwise I will get bored so having a few little jobs to do is fine.

I'm not going to jump in but I'm also aware of how quickly some of he nice cars are getting snapped up.

coullstar said:
Not a fan of white.

It's Lapis Blue with a white wrap, f that makes any difference. There is also a YouTube video featuring that car and a 996C4S.

I wouldn't buy a car because it's local. That's a convenience criteria, nothing to do with the merits of the car. Having said that the logistics (and inevitable disappointment) of a car 400 miles away would make me hesitant.

I'm also not sure I see the value on the known history of a car which has needed a new engine and gearbox. Bad luck? Maybe. Use and abuse? Maybe...

C2 vs C4? Not a lot in it. People say less to go wrong on the C2 but overlook the fact that all the power and torque goes through one pair of drive shafts, cv joints, crown wheels. Not a terribly strong argument for the C4 I don't think but which had the replacement box?

I'm not sure either of these are necessarily for you. Take a look at the C2 but have a good look for some others (even if not of real interest) to view and compare befor committing.

I hear you, Ive travelled 4-500miles a few times to buy cars and its not because the C2 is a local car that I prefer it but to be honest being close is a reasonable contributing factor for me as I barely get any spare weekends and have all work holidays booked up until April next year. Id probably have a car by now if anything was a lot closer. The next nearest car of interest to me is 350+ miles or over 5hours drive one way so it is a factor for where I am. Most of you guys are lucky down there as its not really much of an issue.

I totally understand the issues with these cars and you are all coming up with a lot of the things that Ive noted i.e. why engine and gearbox was replaced on the C2. Both of those have good reasons. I also like to get a feel for the owners and that has a big influence for me as to how the car has been treated.

Im going to look at the C2 and take it from there, as you say if anything just to get a feel for it. If it were a C4 Id still be equally as interested, it just so happens to be one. I'll be honest its a good price for it as well despite the things that have been replaced and it does have a sense of a "project" about it which does appeal as it means I can take time and mould the car a little to what I like. Also its blue, I like blue cars. I need something to tinker with.

Jonny996 said:
That's interesting , can you expand why you prefer the C4? I started off looking for a C2 but then I got opertunity on a mint C4 and took it.

C4, in my opinion, feels more stable, inspires a bit more confidence when driven harder, and grips/pulls better out of slower corners (eg roundabouts) and obviously less twitchy in the wet.

The C2 is a good car no doubt, but I just prefer the stability of the 4wd.

I'm currently modifying mine , should be a couple of months before its ready for the road again.

the only real compromise is front boot space is reduced

coullstar said:
I hear you, Ive travelled 4-500miles a few times to buy cars and its not be cause the C2 is a local car that I prefer it but to be honest being close is a reasonable contributing factor for me as I barely get any spare weekends and have all work holidays booked up until April next year. Id probably have a car by now if anything was a lot closer. The next nearest car of interest to me is 350+ miles or over 5hours drive one way so it is a factor for where I am. Most of you guys are lucky down there as its not really much of an issue.

I totally understand the issues with these cars and you are all coming up with a lot of the things that Ive noted i.e. why engine and gearbox was replaced on the C2. Both of those have good reasons. I also like to get a feel for the owners and that has a big influence for me as to how the car has been treated.

Im going to look at the C2 and take it from there, as you say if anything just to get a feel for it. If it were a C4 Id still be equally as interested, it just so happens to be one. I'll be honest its a good price for it as well despite the things that have been replaced and it does have a sense of a "project" about it which does appeal as it means I can take time and mould the car a little to what I like. Also its blue, I like blue cars. I need something to tinker with.

Sounds like you mind is made up. Its always worth asking for other peoples opinions just to see if it makes you feel defensive or protective about something. That way it can make you see your own opinion clearer.

I have to say though, if you like blue cars the white wrapped car would be a corker and something of a collectable given it's an MY98 car.

Good luck with the viewing of the C2.

Hi bud, If your still struggling with the search mate give me a bell if you want, for some reason I can't find your number on my phone.

Cheers

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back