Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Interior Tapping - Passenger Side

Rob325114

So I've had my 2012 991s for about a month now, and absolutely love it. There is one niggling issue that is getting gradually worse. I have a tapping sound coming from the passenger side, as far front as the window. It started initially as a very light interior tap/squeak that I put down to rubbing, but is getting gradually louder and more consistent - to the point where it will tap whenever the car is moving - even on a smooth road at 5mph. And it's no longer a niggle - the noise is very audible - even with the PSE turned on!

I have searched through PH/911UK and tried the following things. None of which have worked:
- Removed the passenger side plastic triangle between the dash and the door
- Removed the plastic battery cover in the frunk
- Got my O/H to firmly press all interior dash parts on her side
- Putting little felt pads in various places that could be moving in the frunk

I read that this could be from the insulation padding slipping from the fuel tank - which is why I have booked the car in with OPC East London. But the first availability they have is 3rd Oct... I'm not sure I can wait this long!

Any ideas? Has anyone solved similar? I have a video that I could probably post if required.

Here's a video of the tapping you can hear besides the road noise. It's unchanged at rev range/road type/etc. Just keeps tapping while the car is moving. The Phone is placed near the source of the sound, which appears to be above the dash on the passenger side.

https://vimeo.com/233483654

Couldn't play the video... clutching at straws, but does it change if you open the window? I've found the when the rubbers around the windows dry out you end up with rattles. Same around the sun roof if you have one, especially if its the glass unit. A quick wipe with lubrication clears it up.

weejimmy said:
Couldn't play the video... clutching at straws, but does it change if you open the window? I've found the when the rubbers around the windows dry out you end up with rattles. Same around the sun roof if you have one, especially if its the glass unit. A quick wipe with lubrication clears it up.

https://vimeo.com/233483654

Try this version of the link? Seems to work for some, but not others.

I have a roped a friend into helping me identify the spot tomorrow. I will. Include windows in my list of possibilities :)

I couldn,t play the link .. perhaps you have to have an account :dont know:

For lubricateing the windows then wipe the glass with rain - x where it will touche the door seal and leave to dry .

Dont use any silicone based lubricant as it will often end up smearing the window .

i think this is more towards the screen though from what you have said .. its a case of removing trims or even the glove box to find .

Older cars suffer from the windscreen seal creaking but i doubt its that on a 991 .

I use 'Gummi Pflege Stift' Rubber Care on the window rubbers. Brilliant stuff.

I think I have found it. It appears to be coming from the top strut mount. See video. I'm surprised this ended up making a tapping/squeaking noise inside the dash, but it's too convenient otherwise.

https://youtu.be/Opx33toLbVQ

Rob325114 said:
I think I have found it. It appears to be coming from the top strut mount. See video. I'm surprised this ended up making a tapping/squeaking noise inside the dash, but it's too convenient otherwise.

https://youtu.be/Opx33toLbVQ

And here's the sound inside the car uploaded to YouTube. They certainly sound similar. Is this a case of just tightening the strut, or does it need more investigation?

https://youtu.be/EHhmr6HB5fA

I doubt youll tighten the nut any more .

It could be the top mount , the shock or possibly the coil and a stone or dirt is trapped there .

Not a noise ive come across before but my gut feeling is it will need either parts or at least removing the coil spring and cleaning out where it locates .

Did this start suddenly or was it a gradual increase on a noise that has been there for ages ?

Suddenly and it would indicate a foreign object .. gradual and it would indicate wear which is getting worse .

Demort said:
I doubt youll tighten the nut any more .

It could be the top mount , the shock or possibly the coil and a stone or dirt is trapped there .

Not a noise ive come across before but my gut feeling is it will need either parts or at least removing the coil spring and cleaning out where it locates .

Did this start suddenly or was it a gradual increase on a noise that has been there for ages ?

Suddenly and it would indicate a foreign object .. gradual and it would indicate wear which is getting worse .

It started very slight, and only on low fuel / warm days. Then it's gradually picked up to be permanent. It stops when the car is turning. Weirdly it doesn't seem to respond to rev ranges or speed - the tapping/squeak is a permanent frequency. I have pushed the drivers side wheel, and I don't get the same noise - so hopefully the noise from the strut is the noise I am hearing in the cabin.

Turning will put sideways load on the components so i would expect it to stop at that point .

Low fuel .. hmm .. less weight .. it may be coil spring related .

You have a noise on rocking the wheel so i would assume its the same noise as there shouldn,t be any noise .

Im leaning towards something on the coil spring .. for me then i would have it on a ramp or jacked up and pull on the coil spring .. also check around the base of the spring for stones.

Im afraid this noise is not one ive come across before so im just trying to come up with what feels like the fault is .

For a proper diagnosis then a garage will use a chassis ear and r/t the car .. this will locate where the noise is based by useing mico phones on the different parts of the suspension to loacte it .

Demort said:
Turning will put sideways load on the components so i would expect it to stop at that point .

Low fuel .. hmm .. less weight .. it may be coil spring related .

You have a noise on rocking the wheel so i would assume its the same noise as there shouldn,t be any noise .

Im leaning towards something on the coil spring .. for me then i would have it on a ramp or jacked up and pull on the coil spring .. also check around the base of the spring for stones.

Im afraid this noise is not one ive come across before so im just trying to come up with what feels like the fault is .

For a proper diagnosis then a garage will use a chassis ear and r/t the car .. this will locate where the noise is based by useing mico phones on the different parts of the suspension to loacte it .

Legend. Thanks Demort. I'll keep my appointment for October and let OPC take a look.

How bizarre, but I have this exact issue with my new 991.2 GTS.

Sounds like a tapping coming from the passenger side dash but is in fact coming from the front near side top mount. Took a bit of effort to establish that fact - I could've been rooting around the dashboard for months! It's also intermittent so proving it to the dealer was a challenge (helped with numerous videos).

It's actually going into the dealer tomorrow to have the top mount and front strut (they're doing both sides for some reason) replaced under warranty. If the car was out of warranty and I had to pay for it myself, I'd be starting with getting just the top mount replaced in the first instance.

That's good to know (although sorry to hear you're having this problem on such a new car). I'm worried they're going to fix the strut and the noise in the cabin is still going to be there. Noise from the strut should be covered on warranty... But noise from the dash... Probably not.

When is your car going in? I'm going in for the 3rd October and I'd be keen to understand if this solves your problem.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
qdunrpvcxsty
Back