Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Which would you choose and why?

Which would you choose?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Neither.... please explain why?

• Total voters
I'd be swayed by the higher mileage but one owner car. Havew a look at its MOT History too as that can be a good indication if its been looked after.

I'm just back from test driving the 996.2. It is a bit of a shed. Not well loved and quite over priced for its condition.

I do love the gt3 wing and aero kit though.... :worship:

I,d go for the 3.6 on the colour alone, Then you have the added bonus of it being a one owner car. There cant be many of them around at this age.
Plus you get a glove box :lol:

Difficult one but on balance 996.1 as the shape is purer - though the credentials of the 996.2 read well. I doubt either would disappoint though.

I would go for the 996.1 purer design and it has the epic 3.4 engine which has proved the naysayers wrong.

From a investment point of view there are just to many 996s but the 996.1 does mark a significant Porsche milestone between air cool and water cool so a well loved 996.1 should give you more than your money back.

Get the 996.1

The gen 2 for me. Paying more money to get an older 4wd car in resale silver when you could get Seal Grey and RWD for less just doesn't make any sense to me. :dont know:

.1 for me. Not a fan of seal drab. And the original GT3 aero kit looks much better.

sim996 said:
.1 for me. Not a fan of seal drab. And the original GT3 aero kit looks much better.
+1

APL911 said:
I'm just back from test driving the 996.2. It is a bit of a shed. Not well loved and quite over priced for its condition.

You could tell by the state of the rear discs on the pics it wasn't a loved car, they are cheap to change so if they look like this what else has been skimped on.
996.1 for me as thats what will be more sort in the future though it will need to be manual and drive the rear wheels only.

My tuppence worth.
The Silver car is over priced by about 4k, however nice mileage.
The Grey car has a bit more miles than you would ideally want, so you have to consider how many miles you will put on, if you keep it 5 years and put 8k a year on it then will be 150 (not good). However as they get older mileage becomes less important.
The later car is quicker and sharper than a C4S, in key grabbing order I would always take the later car first.
Negotiate negotiate negotiate

Ah, I see I am in a minority!

Neither.

This particular 996.1 is overpriced. But Yes if £15 to £16K

996.2 as stated is in poor order. If this is the case expect to "invest" another £5K on brakes (they look shot in the pics) suspension/clutch/gearbox/water pump and thermostat/ servicing etc.

If you've got £20k budget to buy a well maintained car for £15K to £16K, and keep a contingency fund. Or, one with a rebuild and very well looked after for £20K.

They are out there, be patient.

Thanks for all the input everyone.

In the end I have gone for a C4S (you may have seen my other recent posts?)

It's funny, as the young lad selling the 996.2 was telling me the phone was ringing off the hook for that shed of a thing. (yeah right!)
The difference between that car with 110k on the clock, and the car I have bought with 105k on the clock is shocking. :what:

It goes to show the wide variation in past ownership when it comes to buying a used car.

APL911 said:

You can generally tell a lot from a performance/high end used car by the tyres the previous owner fitted. That 996.2 is wearing Windforce Catchpower Tyres if you look closely... :floor:

A sure fire indicator that the car has been run on a budget and no doubt not cared for!

Congrats on the C4S.

C.

cableguy said:
APL911 said:

You can generally tell a lot from a performance/high end used car by the tyres the previous owner fitted. That 996.2 is wearing Windforce Catchpower Tyres if you look closely... :floor:

A sure fire indicator that the car has been run on a budget and no doubt not cared for!

Congrats on the C4S.

C.

I have Kumho tyres all round, and rusty wheel arches.

What does that tell you about the internals of my engine?

^^^^ Bu??er all good man (re engine internals), however it does indicate the previous owner or yourself enjoys a bargain tyre. :wink:

As for the wheel arches, it's totally irrelevant as this would be down to where in the country the car resides, whether it's a daily driver and obviously how many leptons the car has covered. Any car manufactured with steel panels will encounter rust in some way shape or form 15+ years down the line...

C.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back