Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Bought a 996 C4s.. (8 years after selling my 964)

BK911

Hi everyone,

So a couple of weeks ago after quietly being on the hunt for a few months I finally pulled the trigger on my second 911.

It's been 8 years since I stupidly sold my 964 for £11,200 :frustrated: but in that time I've bought, renovated and sold three houses, had two kids and been promoted at work!!! finally managed to justify a 911 as a daily treat to get me to the airport and back :D

Using my normal left field strategy (Alfa's and Lotus since my 964) I've gone for the unloved and under rated 911.. back in 2007 the 964 was available for £15k... for me the 996 is a deja vu!! It reminds me a bit of my aircooled days in an analogue kind of way.. I'm looking at that oil px gauge rising up toward 5 making sure it doesn't drop below 1, haha oldskool!

Having missed out on the 964 appreciation I'm also taking a punt, I've gone for a C4s... could it be the next widebody 911 to do something special in terms value? It's certainly gathering cult appeal from what I've been reading. Not my primary reason but a zero depreciation car would be nice before one day finding a manual 991 GT3 Touring!! haha in my dreams...

Here's what I've bought:-
49,000 Miles
3 owners
Manual
Basalt black metallic/Full Tan leather upgrade
Sunroof (not bothered but nice to have)
Cruise control
Litronic headlights
Bose sound package
Detailed history file including every invoice including original £62k purchase invoice
It's just had a new clutch, new brakes and IMS bearing upgrade and a 48k service done 700 miles ago for just over £5000 at Parr!!!

Driven it everyday for two weeks and it's just incredible. Strong, characterful and poised on the road. Steering is a delight (I'm really picky having sold an Evora), engine sweet and handling sublime albeit with a few squeaks.. missed the weight at the back feel.

It feels like a "modern classic" 911... love it. It's my everyday cult car that does everything a 911 should and doesn't cost six figs!
First job is a sports exhaust and suspension refresh, can't wait.

:thumbs:

Cheers,
Brij :D

Attachments

• fullsizerender_174.jpg
    fullsizerender_174.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 4,858
  • img_3345_172.jpg
    img_3345_172.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 4,858
Welcome :thumbs:

Seems your swapping Porch's for Porsches!

I think you are dead right about the 4s.

I was a 996 hater, headlights, interior etc..

In recent times I have had my head turned a few times by the 4s. The widebody looks amazing from the back.

Great choice.

ooooh, that's nice.

Well done on the procreation, promotion and general progression. :thumbs:

I think you made the correct choice... I'm not at all biased :lol:
Happy motoring :thumb:

Stunning car m8 and welcome to the fold... :thumb:

Osh

Lovely car, welcome. I have an aircooled 911 too and believe the 996 is very unrated as was my 3.2 7 years ago when I bought it.

Looks mint! :thumb:

:welcome: to the kettle club.

Values of the 996 C4S are now back to where they were in 2009 when I started looking to buy my first 911.

At that time a similar mileage but 2 year older 993 could be had for the same money and we all know what happened over the next few years. If history repeats itself the same could happen with 996 v 997 so at the very worst you wont lose any money.

An added + is that at 49k miles now it's never going to be a super-collectable investment so you can enjoy driving it as well as looking at it.

Have fun :thumbs:

Cracking purchase BK!

There seem to be a lot of us ex-964 owners in here. I sold mine for £12k in 2008. Bought a 964 Turbo for £18k which I sold 5 years later for £25k. It popped up for sale at RPM last year for £100k. :sad:

Anyway like you say the 996 is a modern classic and it has a bit of a 964 feel to it in some ways. Certainly steering feedback and the weight of the controls.

Enjoy the car. :thumb:

Thanks for the comments and welcome back.

@Marky911 At least we both owned them. The turbo is gutting, I still regularly swear at myself!!!!!!!!

996, I really didn't think it would have anything like as much feel as it does. Best of both worlds, you have the smaller proportions (cars these days are bloated!), that flat six delivery and some modern creature comforts like the PSM, air conditioning, a trip computer, cruise control etc etc!!

I look back at the side profile and see the classic 911 profile, perfect. The rear (as good looking as any 911) is as wide as my out going E92 M3.. It's a proper 911.

The steering is my favourite bit about the car at the moment. The steering in my brothers 991 is fantastic but still lacks the ultimate feel of the hydraulic... in my mind anyway! :grin:

List of jobs:-
Any advice of suspension would be appreciated. Back in the 964 it was all about KW, what can anyone recommend for everyday driving? (I have an Elise for trackdays so don't want anything to track orientated). Is it possible to get a factory MO30 still?

Is a Gundo Hack advisable? Did a G-Pipe in the 964, best money I ever spent!! Or CarGraphic but that's quite expensive. I'd rather spend on the suspension and bushes and just release the noise from the flat 6...

Interior gets refurbished next month with Paul (did my 964) at Reviveleather . Com

Stereo - Ordered an Alpine double din with Apple CarPlay. I use Maps and steam music. Want to move the air con bit down and ditch the CD rack.

Cheers,

:thumb:

M030

Yes the M030 kit is still available, just bought kit from Porsche. Great addition in my opinion. :thumb:

Re: M030

The Lone Ranger said:
Yes the M030 kit is still available, just bought kit from Porsche. Great addition in my opinion. :thumb:

Is this any dealer?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back