Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Road trip in the 996

Scully

Hi All,

We've just come back from a road trip around the UK (well England and Scotland actually!) in my recently bought 996. What a great car!

We drove from Bristol to Seahouses in NE England, then up to Spey Bay on the north east Scottish coast. Back home down the fabulous (although the weather was dire) A93 from Braemar to Perth, avoiding the average speed cameras on the A9.

As this is my first Porsche and a 996 I was fully expecting the car to expire during the journey, (due to new Porsche paranoia), but it didn't miss a beat. Took all our luggage with no problems and was very comfortable on it's standard suspension - more so than my previous BMW 120 coupe with sport suspension, which would shake your fillings out, even on cats eyes.

We managed a creditable 31.75 MPG (calculated) over the 1467 miles of the trip on Momentum 99, with the best being about 34 MPG on a 200 mile motorway section, driving at around 70-75. Too many cameras/traffic about to go mad, but we did have some fun on the quiet Scottish roads.

No oil consumption either as far as I can tell.

Note the tom-tom for navigation on my custom made, 3d printed cup holder mount!

Roll on the next trip!

Cheers

Dave

Attachments

• 1_1588_161.jpg
    1_1588_161.jpg
    307.5 KB · Views: 2,945
  • dsc_0328_313.jpg
    dsc_0328_313.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 2,945
  • dsc_0310_965.jpg
    dsc_0310_965.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 2,945
You cant beat a good road trip, Great to hear the car performed well

You visited a wondeful part of the world get some more pics up :thumb:

Exactly what she was designed for! Well done. These things are WAAAAAY more reliable than the internet would have you believe; you just have to drive them (and service them).

Nice TomTom mount, too. :thumb:

Great pics :thumb:
Love a long trip in the 911.. its already been said , but it's what they're made for.
The tomtom mount looks neat. How did you achieve this - did you use a specific mount/clamp?

Tom Tom mount looks good.

adamw said:
Love a long trip in the 911.. its already been said , but it's what they're made for.
The tomtom mount looks neat. How did you achieve this - did you use a specific mount/clamp?

Nothing fancy at all. Just a simple hollow cylinder with a flat top to take a dash mount sticky pad disc. It fits in the cup holder with a reasonably snug fit. The Tom-Tom mount suction pad sits on the top. I was worried that it might move around too much, but it was fine.

You can buy commercial cup holder mounts but because they need to cater for all sorts of holder designs they are generally much more bulky.

Dave

Attachments

• cupholdersatnavmount_v2_149.jpg
    cupholdersatnavmount_v2_149.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 2,699
Scully said:
adamw said:

Nothing fancy at all. Just a simple hollow cylinder with a flat top to take a dash mount sticky pad disc. It fits in the cup holder with a reasonably snug fit. The Tom-Tom mount suction pad sits on the top. I was worried that it might move around too much, but it was fine.

You can buy commercial cup holder mounts but because they need to cater for all sorts of holder designs they are generally much more bulky.

Dave

Thanks Dave
Where would one acquire a "simple hollow cylinder with a flat top" that's a perfect fit for a 996 cup holder ? :grin: :thumb:

Nice one Dave!

Lovely car and low miles too. :thumb:

I live 10 miles off the Northumberland Coastal route. Lovely, mind you Seahouses is a bit worse for wear these days. Bamburgh is lovely a bit further up though.

Anyway good to see a car getting used for the fun stuff.

Cool. More pics of the car and less pics of the mpg next time though! :grin:

Scully said:
my custom made, 3d printed cup holder mount

Git!

:lol:

......there must be something equivalent available from a garden aquatics/plumbers yard - cue another weird ebay/internet search that I wont be able to explain convincingly to anyone who catches me at it : '

demon said:
Scully said:
my custom made, 3d printed cup holder mount

Git!

:lol:

......there must be something equivalent available from a garden aquatics/plumbers yard - cue another weird ebay/internet search that I wont be able to explain convincingly to anyone who catches me at it : '

Yes, you would have thought so - I did have a look around, but couldn't find anything that was quite right.

Sadly it's a mate's 3d printer, so I can't offer to knock a few up, however you're welcome to the input (.stl) file if you'd like to try to find your own 'mate' with a printer.

Dave

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back