Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

MaxA's ''Mr White'' long termer

So I'm back in Dubai, and I finally managed to install the TPC Racing DSC module, the easiest modification ever, as you don't even need a tool...

The 9972 is now on temporary blue export plates, so I've got the weekend to drive it before it gets loaded into a container and shipped home early next week.

So we're coming to the end of Chapter 1 (the Dubai Years).

I'm trying to get a lifelike shot of the matt graphite OZs:

Attachments

• img_20170831_173231_hdr_836.jpg
    img_20170831_173231_hdr_836.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 7,619
Some final shots from the (very empty) Dubai Autodrome - with blue temporary export plates

Attachments

• img_20170902_120450_hdr_127.jpg
    img_20170902_120450_hdr_127.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 7,612
  • img_20170902_120343_hdr_533.jpg
    img_20170902_120343_hdr_533.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 7,612
  • img_20170902_120015_hdr_965.jpg
    img_20170902_120015_hdr_965.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 7,612
A quick report on the TPC Racing DSC module: it was an easy fit, once I got my head all the way down into the footwell. The old box comes out pretty easily.

The new box definitely improves the ride: it's softer but more controlled in normal (and if you press sport button, the default for PASM is not 'hard', which is an improvement). We have a lot of speed bumps and the car seems better able to handle them, with less crash and bash. Basically more body control.

I'll be going for a longer drive tomorrow, and I'll report back on what it feels like with PASM set to 'on'. But so far, so good!

A little update on the DSC module: the suspension feels somehow softer all round (with PASM on soft or hard), and more compliant, without compromising body control. It is still something that I want to get used to, as it is a new sensation...

In the meantime, the car is now in a container on a vessel bound for Finland from Jebel Ali. The ETA is 17 October, but I'd still need to wait for customs clearance. Hopefully, sooner rather than later, as I would need to quickly winterise the car before the winter sets in.

I need a DEFA engine block heater, a coolant flush and 32 litres of new Nordic grade coolant, rubber mats, new windscreen wipers, new screen wash, and new winter tyres. I suppose I'll have to ask the OPC for a quote, just to see if it's a number that I can work on.

The Carrera is now en route to Helsinki with an ETA of 17 October (plus some days for customs clearance), which is pretty much the start of winter.

I've been trying to order some Nokian winter tyres, but the rears are proving a little awkward to find. There is apparently a set of Hakkapeliitta7 studded tyres in stock (which are a year old) but I really wanted the latest ones, the generation 9s. I may try to find the latest R2 non-studded "friction tyres" instead. Which have one advantage: they're actually allowed in other parts of Europe.

I'll also need new coolant, engine block heater, and proper winter grade screen wash. I've got the rubber mats and new windscreen wipers already. At least I've found an independent garage to assist, as I have no plans to pay full OPC prices.

In other news, we're applying to the local authority for permission to enlarge and heat the old storage and garage. I've a feeling the car will be better off in a proper heated garage (even if we only keep it at 10-15c).

It seems that the 295 section HKPL7s are the only available tyres in 19" so they've been ordered. I now need to drag the Carrera Sport rims up to the tyre fitters. I've also ordered the coolant flush and the latest DEFA engine block heater with interior heater and battery charger incorporated, so if the garage isn't rebuilt in time (it may take a while to get planning permission), I can still run the 997 when it's cold.

There's been a hold up. The car is still in Bremerhaven. :nooo:

MaxA said:

Oh no get Mr White home! Great car choice by the way :grin:

Thanks, I'm working on it.

I was just reading an interview with Valteri Bottas, who drives a Merc as his company car. It turns out that he runs a C4S, which he bought with his own money, as his personal car up here in Finland. Obviously.

spongebob squarepants said:
MaxA said:

Oh no get Mr White home! Great car choice by the way :grin:

The 911 is due to arrive tomorrow, and then hopefully it will clear customs by the end of the week. I dropped it off some 8 weeks ago, and it's been a really long wait...

I've an appointment at 9am tomorrow morning to pick up the 911.

I've got the customs clearance, I've filed the declaration of use, I've arranged the Insurance, I've got the winter tyres wrapped around the original rims, and the rubber mats, so all I need is the temporary 'paper' number plates, and a tank of fuel, and I'm good to go.

Just need to sort out the coolant flush and the engine block heater for a season of wintery goodness. In the meantime, I'll need to file the car tax application, get an emissions certificate, and full official inspection, and once the tax is paid (ouch), I'll have the proper pressed steel plates and the import will be done.

:D

I got my 997 on Friday. What a relief. It badly needed a wash, and the interior stinks of aroma-de-la-container. Which is a bit wierd. Not sure what to do about that. It's currently getting aired out. The car got carefully washed on Saturday, but since then I've driven it, and it needs a wash again - it's late autumn and the roads are seriously mucky. It looks like I've just driven a special stage. I have to say that it felt terrible on the summers at 0c, all over the place, but now it's on winters, it's predictable and safe, if a little noisy (I went for the studded tyres).

I must admit that I'm feeling a bit self conscious behind the wheel as these cars a little more rare around here (and certainly compared to Dubai). But hey ho, what can you do, I've got my dream car, and I even had a little wave from some other 911 in the neighbourhood - the first one I saw in fact!

I'll pop up some pictures once they're resized. 7MB doesn't fit on the forum.

In the meantime, I'm taking bets with myself on how long it'll take to pick up a speeding ticket. I need to recalibrate my right foot, as I was just nipping round some groaner in front of me and I found myself at "a little bit" over the limit. This place could get really expensive... :cop:

Updated List of Modifications:

Stop
- Pagid front and Brembo rear 330mm drilled discs
- Pagid RS29 pads all round
- Goodridge brake lines
- Motul RBF600 fluid

Go
- Sports Design 991.1 paddleshift steering wheel
- Hayward & Scott rear centre cross pipes
- K&N air filters

Corners
- RSS Tarmac Series engine mounts
- TPC Racing DSC Module
- 12mm TPI spacers at the rear
- summer wheelset: matt graphite OZ Racing Ultraleggera with Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 N2 tyres (19x8.5 235/35-19s front and 19x11 305/30-19 rear)
- winter wheelset: OEM Carrera Sport with Nokian Hakkapeliitta7 studded tyres (19x8.5 235/35-19 front and 19x11.5 295/30-19 rear)
- Porsche Competition wheel studs & bolts
- H+R lowering springs
- Vorschlag adjustable front camber/caster plates - wrong ones arrived...

Looks
- R-style black side stripes with red PORSCHE script
- rear de-badged, with white PORSCHE script added to rear red strip instead
- Feynlab ceramic coating, including wheels, calipers and seat backs
- de-shark finned
- sticker tuning by Magnus Walker

Extras
- DEFA engine block heater with integrated trickle charger and interior heater
- Porsche outdoor cover
- Porsche roof rails
- Rennline front tow hitch/GoPro mount
- Porsche rubber mats

Wish List
- Michelin Pilot Sport Cup2s (with 245s at the front)
- Thule ski box
- more camber
- Polyflex transmission bushes

All the above

:useless:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back