Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Brake lines

Kunifer can look indistinguishable from copper, the nickel content can range from over 93% down to 68% depending which alloy grade is used...

mr gill said:
Kunifer can look indistinguishable from copper, the nickel content can range from over 93% down to 68% depending which alloy grade is used...

Are you sure that's correct? :)

I thought Cunifer/Kunifer was mainly copper, with a little nickel etc added not the other way round - ie circa 90% copper not mainly nickel.

The finish may vary slightly but generally copper coloured just a little lighter (bronzey/gold) :thumb:

ragpicker said:
I usually heat them up with a blow torch, the crud falls off them and they unseize too. Sometimes you get the brake fluid catching fire as it drips out which is always interesting.

Thats one thing we would do at work .. i wont say we know what we are doing :p but we do have plenty of fire extinguishers :D

X51 996 said:
mr gill said:

I thought Cunifer/Kunifer was mainly copper, with a little nickel etc added not the other way round - ie circa 90% copper not mainly nickel.

The finish may vary slightly but generally copper coloured just a little lighter (bronzey/gold) :thumb:

Oops yes, thats what i meant to say, i wrote nickel instead of copper!

mr gill said:
X51 996 said:
mr gill said:

Oops yes, thats what i meant to say, i wrote nickel instead of copper!
Please please just look at my picture of the two, side by side in the picture I posted earlier in the thread. It is very clear how they look, :frustrated:
Now back to making brake pipes up :)

OK so I finally got it sorted today :Dance-Tap:
I tried a few days ago with no joy at all.. one of the molegrips I was using was crap and had way to much play in them.... so bought another better quality pair of molegrips...
2 secs it was off... nut and line salvaged by twisting the flexible line end (as recommended by Demort, I thank you sir)
Thanks for everyone's imput :thumb:

20170914_113535.jpg

20170914_105143.jpg

20170914_191651.jpg

I'm raising this thread from the forum depths.

Can any one tell me which fittings are used on the 996 brakes?
Type and size? 10mm with 1mm threads springs to mind.

Want to replace the little hardlines, the ones that connect to the caliper.

Also what diameter alloy/ cunifer pipes ?

Any one point me to a nice kit with a mini pipe bender?

Many thanks.

unless you're really keen to do it yourself, they are (or at least were) less than a fiver each from OPC.

5 English Pounds ?? Surely not ?
It's a Pooorsha, must be at least 100 English pfunds each!

Any one got the part numbers handy ?

Many thanks.

Porsche Brooklands as of 28/10/19
- front £15.38 each
- rear £11.78 each

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back