Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Checking my working...

Dammit

If each graduation is 0.2 of a litre my thought is to measure out and add half a litre of oil, would that be around spot on or should I aim to get right to the top of the scale?

37147484065_f01c9f6410_b.jpg

I'd add 500ml, give it 10 mins, then check again, you can always add a little more. Do not fill above the upper arrow/triangle.

Use the dipstick. Personally I would only use the digital display as a reference and the dipstick as accurate measurement.

:yeah:

Someone once told me for most cars the difference between max and min on the dipstick on most cars is 1 litre, so work it out from that.

The digital display is a low resolution... You could be "just" into the next graduation, or near the top of it if you see what I mean. Both are effectively the same, but when lower it induces more "porsche paranoia".

I usually try to keep my 996 at max. I want to actually see oil with my own eyes, not necessarily trust 18 year old sensors.

Just be a little careful. I would add oil only when the engine is warm. If you fill it when cold, by the time it gets to operating temperature it will actually be overfilled due to the expansion of the oil.

So measure it after you've got it up to temp and then you'll know how much to add :thumb:

General rule of thumb:

Max line should be when oil is warm. I fill to around 2/3rds of the dipstick range when cold to allow for expansion when warm.

Also worth considering when an engine is warm (because you have just turned it off), a lot of the oil will be hanging around and not in the sump - so you would not be measuring all the oil.

Just be sensible and measure it again after filling and running.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back