Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996.1 cab C2 manual

Good work fixing those niggles but Wawaweewah! £350 for two Sun visors. You love spending money on that car. :grin:

I'll have to do mine in the future for the same reason. I'll be buying 2 perfect used ones for £30 each.

A good example of 2 different approaches I suppose. Can't help thinking mind, that I'd rather have an old 964 cab for the money you've spent on your, or go the other way to a 997.2 if newer was preferable.

Kudos to you for blowing so much money on it though. :worship:

My car will get everything it needs but I look at what a certain part does, how often it gets used and how many used ones I'd have to get through before I'd spent the price of a new one.
Obviously mechanical parts always need to be new and decent, but trim pieces etc are exactly where Porsche applies the "Porsche tax".

My first car cost £250, the replacement engine (dropped a valve into the first one) cost £100 from a scrapper, I fitted it at the curbside outside my parents house. Thinking about it that was rear engined and air cooled, but sadly no Porsche. That was 23 years ago now.

I acknowledge that this fairly innocuous 996 has now swallowed a lot of cash, I do wonder where I'd be if I'd bought a 964 though- I suspect it would not have been cheaper.

I've got no interest in a 997, I did consider it but ultimately dismissed the idea when looking for the 996.

I hear what you are saying regarding decent used parts, I just didn't want to have to swap the visor again in a couple of months so went for new. It'll likely break by Christmas now I have said that of course.

I'll take some pictures of the contents of the box in my hall when I get home, just to confirm that I have no sense at all.

36976709252_f5f33f0000_b.jpg

Really very nicely made when looking at them - a world apart from the Koni yellows on the Volvo.

36334361653_2f687cd9db_b.jpg

Very nice 8)
They are on my shopping list too :thumb:
So if you happen to have got them in a good deal somewhere you'll have to let me know :wink:

I bought them from Design911, £2,163.89 including delivery.

The springs are coupe (60/120) so not best suited to the car, therefore I'm buying slightly less stiff springs from Centre Gravity - 40/90.

I got Ohlins springs, which came in at £332.10.

Finally, I have the installation, geometry and the remote adjusters to pay for when I head up to CG - I'll update on final costs then.

Good read this, certainly some car by the time your done.

On a side note, if your thinking of selling your standard shocks etc give me a shout as I could be interested.

Sure, one pair of shocks have ~3,000 miles on then, the others I don't know the mileage of but Precision judged them to be fine, springs are likely original to the car and therefore at 65,000 miles. All stock cab stuff, which you are very welcome to. I'll box it up in the Ohlins packaging for you, if you want it.

Now I just need to convince PopPopBangBang to make his big brake kit commercially available- anyone else interested in Cayenne Turbo Brembo's on the front of their car and wish to add their names to a "pester PPBB" list?

A chap on Pistonheads (Escy) had to watch whilst his Boxster burnt out, which turned my mind toward the question of what would I do/be able to do if smoke started coming from the engine bay.

Currently the answer is get out of the car and then commence crying, so I thought I'd do something about it that might lead to a less lachrymose outcome.

There was an option to have a fire extinguisher fitted - option M509.

Now Porsche no longer supply fire extinguishers, but given that the one used in the kit is simply a Gloria P1DB you can order one from any number of German sites. If you wish to buy the English language version then the Kidde KSP1GM appears to be very near to/the same unit.

I ordered the Gloria for OCD reasons/it's the OEM one.

The rest of the parts are as follows:
999 141 028 02 x 3 = screws to mount metal bracket to seat frame
996 521 674 00 (LHD) or 996 521 673 00 (RHD) x 1 = metal mounting bracket
900 067 137 02 x 2 screws to mount extinguisher cradle to metal bracket
900 151 027 02 x 2 washers for the above screws
996 521 607 00 x 1 Plastic red cradle to hold extinguisher

And are available from your OPC for £110.

The Kidde is available for ~£13, the Gloria for ~€30, so you can install option M509 for less than £150.

Here's what it looks like fitted:
774943d1383362546-help-fitting-fire-extinguisher-i509-to-sport-adaptive-seat-fire3.jpg

This is conspicuous value if you look at the bracket+extinguisher currently on eBay for £495.

Great info!

My mate Craig (on here too) text me the other night about the eBay one for his. Having had one in my GT3 I told him don't bother as they're a pain in the backside for passengers. They look cool though "because racecar".

More importantly though they do serve a purpose. Having had a one save my RS Turbo many moons ago I really should get one.

Good digging on that info. Not like you to take a cheaper option, are you feeling ok? :grin:

I like seeing updates on this thread though. Greatstuff. :thumb:

Edited.
Pic didn't show before. That's much less intrusive than the GT3 one. Nice job. 8)

Love the attention to detail. You've turned this into a real keeper and something that you can enjoy for years to come.

Thank you for demonstrating that the 911 cabriolet can have a roof rack! This may come in handy with a child on the way! Which one did you go for?

Thanks!

The roof rack is the Porsche Transport System (RTS):

37245414505_433fa8ffcf_b.jpg

They come up from time to time on eBay etc.

One of the things that I love about the 996 is that the engineers designed into the cabriolet the ability to have a roof-rack - something the 997 lost.

Dammit said:
A chap on Pistonheads (Escy) had to watch whilst his Boxster burnt out, which turned my mind toward the question of what would I do/be able to do if smoke started coming from the engine bay.

Currently the answer is get out of the car and then commence crying, so I thought I'd do something about it that might lead to a less lachrymose outcome.

There was an option to have a fire extinguisher fitted - option M509.

Now Porsche no longer supply fire extinguishers, but given that the one used in the kit is simply a Gloria P1DB you can order one from any number of German sites. If you wish to buy the English language version then the Kidde KSP1GM appears to be very near to/the same unit.

I ordered the Gloria for OCD reasons/it's the OEM one.

The rest of the parts are as follows:
999 141 028 02 x 3 = screws to mount metal bracket to seat frame
996 521 674 00 (LHD) or 996 521 673 00 (RHD) x 1 = metal mounting bracket
900 067 137 02 x 2 screws to mount extinguisher cradle to metal bracket
900 151 027 02 x 2 washers for the above screws
996 521 607 00 x 1 Plastic red cradle to hold extinguisher

And are available from your OPC for £110.

The Kidde is available for ~£13, the Gloria for ~€30, so you can install option M509 for less than £150.

Here's what it looks like fitted:
774943d1383362546-help-fitting-fire-extinguisher-i509-to-sport-adaptive-seat-fire3.jpg

This is conspicuous value if you look at the bracket+extinguisher currently on eBay for £495.

Great info, many thanks :thumb:

I don't suppose you could post the link for Gloria :wink:

Cracking thread!

My old 996.1 C2 3.4 coupe had some bills above £1,500 but thankfully not too many - which was luck as much as anything :superstition:

But the joy it gave me from driving was immense. I've no doubt my current 997.1 turbo tip is faster on every area. But I suspect it isn't that much faster in real world conditions. And I wouldn't say it provides that much more driving pleasure. Actually thinking about it I can't say one really was better than the other: each brings something distinct and different.

Look forward to reading about your experience with the GT3/Cabrio hybrid set up :thumb:

How have I missed this thread!?!?!?

Just read it cover to cover with a coffee. A thoroughly enjoyable and informative read!

As you may have noticed I like a good build thread and appreciate the dedication that goes into making the car exactly as you want it, and that is often a very individual thing.

Given what you have documented as being replaced this is more of a restoration than anything else. I think you've chosen the perfect car to do it too. An early analogue 3.4 is the pick of the bunch for me (after a 4S). There is a good argument that they are the ultimate 911 - quick, affordable (bills aside), aging very well, reliable in the main, excellent handling whilst maintaining driver involvement (unlike the new 911's). They are the epitome of what the 911 was meant to be.

By the way, the 5 spoke wheels you have on are my favourite 996 wheel. I'd like them for my boxster if you ever get rid of them :wink:

Locked in for future updates :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golfguy11800
Back