Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

UK engine builders, good experiences, places to avoid......

Gezzer

Hi there,

My engine will soon be out and I'm looking for a good reputable shop for the rebuild.
The engine is serviceable but at 160k I want to rebuild it to go along with the restoration.
The aim is for a power upgrade, maybe even a cc upgrade. I'd like to see 250hp (genuine not dreamed)
Just from some online investigation and a few phone calls I'm hearing anything from 5 grand to 20 grand.
I think trust is probably the most important aspect of this kind of job, I don't mind paying but I don't want to have my pant pulled down!!
Has anyone out there got some glowing recommendations?
Many thanks in advance for your advice

Cheers

Steve

Autofarm are a well reputed company with decades of experience with air cooled cars.

I know Porsche Torque have a good reputation - declaration of interest - my turbo engine is currently there.

Also for the air cooled stuff Ninemeister in Warrington create some lovely motors and are always very busy with air-cooled engine builds. They've even got a price guide on their website I think.

Then you've got Fearnsport (only ever hear great things about them) and 9e who are very well respected, in particular with turbo engines and Autofarm - also only ever hear good things.

There aren't that many well regarded porsche engine builders around really.

Where you based :dont know: Performance-Porsche in West Yorks can do it (and I suspect for the lower estimate dependent on what you want) but I know they've got a lot on so depends how quick you want it.

Bill Russel at Dakota Classics in Swanley, Kent. Been going for years and years, small independent, orgionally Aston Martin trained but moved into Porsches in the early 90's and covers all aircooled cars.

Worked for him on and off over the years and notable cars we're Micky Mosts 911 Kramer (full engine rebuild before his passing), various early pre
Impact bumper cars, SC's, 930 turbos and lots and lots of 356's.

Pm me if you want his number.

Good places tend to be very busy, so be prepared for a bit of a wait

ragpicker said:
Also for the air cooled stuff Ninemeister in Warrington create some lovely motors and are always very busy with air-cooled engine builds. They've even got a price guide on their website I think.

If you're considering NW then I'd suggest the guys at Unit 11 Warrington over Ninemeister based on air-cooled owner feedback. Just hear mixed reports of Ninemeister but consistent praise for the guys at Unit 11 (supported by a Indy i know well)

Re: UK engine builders, good experiences, places to avoid...

Gezzer said:
Hi there,

My engine will soon be out and I'm looking for a good reputable shop for the rebuild.
The engine is serviceable but at 160k I want to rebuild it to go along with the restoration.
The aim is for a power upgrade, maybe even a cc upgrade. I'd like to see 250hp (genuine not dreamed)
Just from some online investigation and a few phone calls I'm hearing anything from 5 grand to 20 grand.
I think trust is probably the most important aspect of this kind of job, I don't mind paying but I don't want to have my pant pulled down!!
Has anyone out there got some glowing recommendations?
Many thanks in advance for your advice

Cheers

Steve
Currently having my 2.7 engine fully rebuilt at porcheenginebuilding.com they are in Erith Kent. They fully rebuilt a 3.0 litre for me a last year. That is the reason they now have my 2.7 to build. they also build watercooled engines. IMS, Oval bores, ect

Unit 11 in Warrington rebuilt my air cooled recently.
Very pleased with the work By Danny and Johnny.
Regards
Chris

Another vote for Unit Eleven. Superb work and great value for money. Not words often used in the same sentence when talking about Porsche. :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back