Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Rain sensor accessory

steve r

Has anyone got or fitted the rain sensor kit? Is it any good and worth having?

Installation guide in TSB 9212
http://www.porschemania.it/discus/messages/502415/TECNICA-montaggio_sensore_pioggia-533948.pdf

2395.jpg

31EktvQ8cqL.jpg

I've got it fitted, can be a bit hit and miss sometimes...staying on longer than is needed for example. I also find I'm constantly having to turn wipers on manually and then off again when its light rain as it doesnt always pick it up.

Thanks for the reply.

Does it render the wiper interval speed dial on the dash inoperative?

That's a good question and if it did it would make sense. I've always thought that dial did nothing or had no affect on the wiper sensitivity

One of the things I love about my 4s is that it's so old it doesn't have any of these modern bits and pieces.

My other cars all have the auto wiper function and I always have to operate the wipers manually at some time or another depending on the type and frequency of the rain.

Auto wipers are one of those additions that sound nice in theory but never quite deliver in practice.

No offence meant just my opinion.

:D

stewhp said:
Auto wipers are one of those additions that sound nice in theory but never quite deliver in practice.

:D

Completely agree with this comment. I have autowipers on my other car, but they never do the job quite right. I usually use the manual settings, particularly in winter. When in auto setting the wiper smears salt a grime across the screen, as oppose to wiping manually when you would do so after a squirt of water.

I don't miss autowipe on my 996!

I would like a good auto wipe, the intermittent wipe works and I do find the rotary control alters the frequency although it's not as sensitive or with such a range as my Mondeo!
My old Alfa 166 had an excellent auto wipe system and after a good system, you get very frustrated with altering the wipe rate in light rain.

FWIW, I've got auto wipers and auto-high beam in my other car and they are brilliant (granted: the lights are bordering on voo-doo)

Perfect level of sensitivity.

Not got them on the scrapheap challenge though. #manualrules

Dan :)

I've got factory auto wipers on my C4s. .. but to be honest they seem a little slow to react sometimes... they are a novelty.. but to honest I didn't even notice it had them for several months :lol:

Thanks for the replies,

I have auto wipers on my S3 but I can't see myself buying & fitting this to my 996 really given the price & feedback. Also the area that the sensor is shown as being mounted doesn't get fully cleared by the wipers so maybe that affects the operation of the system?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back