Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Porsche Buyers Guides
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
991 : 2011- 10
997 : 2004- 67
996 : 1997-2005 45
993 : 1993-1998 11
964 : 1989-1993 4
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 0
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 0
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 0
Early 911 : 1964-1977 2
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 1
Boxster : 1997- 16
Cayman : 2005- 13
Cayenne : 2003- 10
Macan : 2014- 1
Panamera : 2009- 3
912-914-924-928-944-968 3
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 1
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Body Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [991] 2011-Current
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-Current
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

Post new topic   Reply to topic
Author Message
160dmb
Trainee


Joined: 19 Aug 2014
Posts: 94



PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:02 pm    Post subject: PDK Buttons reprogrammed to work like paddles Reply with quote

I have been umming and arring about changing my 997 Gen 2 Multi Function steering wheel to a paddle shift wheel to get away from the unnatural action of the PDK buttons but really didn't want to lose the Multi Function, nor am I really up for the expense of a Macan type steering wheel and airbag solution.

I now have a great solution ....

I have just had the PDK buttons rewired (rather than re-programmed) so that pulling the left switch changes down, and pulling the right one changes up. Pushing the switches away from you (left and right) does nothing.

Exactly what I had been aiming for!
Initial impressions are very positive.

Car and steering wheel look completely standard, just with improved functionality.

Having done the first one my local independent (JRW Elite Automotive) near Stansted airport is now able to do yours too if you want to go down this route.

Actually I have one small issue in case any of you can help me with a solution - I need to mark the left PDK switch with a "-" minus sign to indicate downshift, and the right one with a "+" for an upshift. If anyone is in the decal world or has any other great idea how to make it look as OE as possible I am all ears.

Really really pleased with this mod, and happy to put you in touch with Jamie @ JRW if you are interested in doing something similar.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Phil 997
Fuji


Joined: 05 Dec 2015
Posts: 9876
Location: Bournemouth,Dorset

2009 Porsche 997 Carrera 4S

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

re your problem, I have seen member G2 s tip surround custom painted by wicked coatings in Poole Dorset there custom paint guy hand painted different colour numbers and letters on it , it was then clear coat lacquered. that is an option for you with the plus and minus . Thumb
_________________
911 Owners,Some Invest In The Future,
Others Enjoy The Moment Today.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
160dmb
Trainee


Joined: 19 Aug 2014
Posts: 94



PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Phil. I will give them a call. As you may recall I had the idea of doing this a while ago but I'm very glad I finally got round to it - it feels like how they should have worked all along.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
911_AS
Imola


Joined: 22 Apr 2013
Posts: 751
Location: London

2010 Porsche 997 Carrera 2S

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good. What was the Cost of the work, and how long did it take to carry out?
_________________
997.2 C2S. Meteor Grey. PDK.
997.1 C2S. Basalt Black. Manual. SOLD.

Naturally Aspiring.

 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
silvermilnec
Österreich


Joined: 20 Feb 2012
Posts: 981
Location: Leeds West Yorkshire


PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

911_AS wrote:
Sounds good. What was the Cost of the work, and how long did it take to carry out?


off subject but like the art at the bottom of your page!!
_________________
1996 944
1998 968
2000 996 C2
2006 997 4S
2009 997 1.5 Turbo basalt black on black
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
G2
Spa-Francorchamps


Joined: 26 Oct 2015
Posts: 299



PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

160dmb wrote:
Thanks Phil. I will give them a call. As you may recall I had the idea of doing this a while ago but I'm very glad I finally got round to it - it feels like how they should have worked all along.


Great idea to simply rewire the buttons.

The guys at wicked will be able to help. Worth sending them a picture of the complete wheel then call to talk through the design. They will only want the parts that you need painting, no electrics.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
160dmb
Trainee


Joined: 19 Aug 2014
Posts: 94



PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took some gumption to actually start pulling things apart and rewiring them but I really like the result.

Disabling the push functionality is a great plus as I have hit the buttons inadvertently whilst turning the wheel in the past but pulling the left button to change down and the right one to change up is just instantly natural.

Jamie is a really top bloke and he charged me less because I had the idea and did all the research but he is thinking of charging £200 (plus the dreaded vat) now rear he knows how and what needs doing.

I think it's a great mod and keeping the MF on the steering wheel is a real bonus for me. I didn't want to lose it tbh. Bear in mind we still need a solution for the marking of thebpaddles though - call to wicked on the agenda but for my own purposes I actually don't even need to do it - just works well now.

Much cheaper than a new wheel (and/or airbag)
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
nigel99
Suzuka


Joined: 16 Jul 2015
Posts: 1145
Location: Surrey

2009 Porsche 997 Carrera 2S

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G2 wrote:
160dmb wrote:
Thanks Phil. I will give them a call. As you may recall I had the idea of doing this a while ago but I'm very glad I finally got round to it - it feels like how they should have worked all along.


Great idea to simply rewire the buttons.

The guys at wicked will be able to help. Worth sending them a picture of the complete wheel then call to talk through the design. They will only want the parts that you need painting, no electrics.


Do you have a picture of your wheel G2?
_________________
Current: 2009 997.2 C2S
Previous: 2008 Cayman 2.7, 2002 Audi TT, 1999 BMW 318!
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
G2
Spa-Francorchamps


Joined: 26 Oct 2015
Posts: 299



PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nigel99 wrote:


Do you have a picture of your wheel G2?


It was the PDK gate rather than the wheel mate. Phil was Just using it as an example of airbrushing.

I did have the inserts on my T5 steering wheel done in Red with soft touch paint, which makes it look frosty if that makes sense...will take a picture of that later.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
911_AS
Imola


Joined: 22 Apr 2013
Posts: 751
Location: London

2010 Porsche 997 Carrera 2S

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

silvermilnec wrote:
911_AS wrote:
Sounds good. What was the Cost of the work, and how long did it take to carry out?


off subject but like the art at the bottom of your page!!


Thank you!! My car is a Meteor Grey 997.2 with Chrono; this signature photo just had to be done! Thumb
_________________
997.2 C2S. Meteor Grey. PDK.
997.1 C2S. Basalt Black. Manual. SOLD.

Naturally Aspiring.

 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
911_AS
Imola


Joined: 22 Apr 2013
Posts: 751
Location: London

2010 Porsche 997 Carrera 2S

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

160dmb wrote:
Took some gumption to actually start pulling things apart and rewiring them but I really like the result.

Disabling the push functionality is a great plus as I have hit the buttons inadvertently whilst turning the wheel in the past but pulling the left button to change down and the right one to change up is just instantly natural.

Jamie is a really top bloke and he charged me less because I had the idea and did all the research but he is thinking of charging £200 (plus the dreaded vat) now rear he knows how and what needs doing.

I think it's a great mod and keeping the MF on the steering wheel is a real bonus for me. I didn't want to lose it tbh. Bear in mind we still need a solution for the marking of thebpaddles though - call to wicked on the agenda but for my own purposes I actually don't even need to do it - just works well now.

Much cheaper than a new wheel (and/or airbag)


Money well spent. Good to know alternative options are available, rather than spending circa £1k for a Sports Design Paddle Shift wheel. Very well done.
_________________
997.2 C2S. Meteor Grey. PDK.
997.1 C2S. Basalt Black. Manual. SOLD.

Naturally Aspiring.

 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
easternjets
Suzuka


Joined: 29 Apr 2016
Posts: 1236
Location: Up North!


PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got fed up with the 'tip' box and bought a Gen 2, solves all the problems in one go!
_________________
997 Turbo Gen II PDK 2011
997 Turbo Tiptronic S
Porsche 968 Coupe 1992
Porsche 928 S4
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera 1985
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic   All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
You cannot post calendar events in this forum