Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

is my PCM knackered....

michaelbbwalker

The other day I noticed a blue vertical line on the side of my screen. .. then 2... today more. . Is this a sign of impending doom?

Attachments

• img_20170909_wa0000_963.jpg
    img_20170909_wa0000_963.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 3,793
Cool, can they repair? Wasn't sure from website... any idea on cost, if it's cheaper than a second hand unit from ebay I would be interested. .. but then mine is a really old unit which doesn't even play mp3 cds so if I could swap with a later model that would also be good!

Maybe a new aftermarket is crying out .... my new aftermarket recently purchased and yet to fit...

J

Attachments

• 20170909_123924_1_209.jpg
    20170909_123924_1_209.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 3,710
Jesus I had actually forgotten how terrible a PCM2.1 looks! Looks like it's 1987!

There I am, thinking of upgrading my upgrade!

I agree if you going to have to spend money on the 2.1 then worth considering upgrading to an aftermarket double din and get car play , mirror link, streaming and all the other 2017 tech :thumb:

resigner said:
Jesus I had actually forgotten how terrible a PCM2.1 looks! Looks like it's 1987!

There I am, thinking of upgrading my upgrade!

:floor:
I agree, they do look really dated now, hence one of the reasons I am considering a 991, I just feel the 997 interior is quite dated in general... I don't think id go for aftermarket, that's one area I have to agree with the purist bunch, I don't really like the look of aftermarket in there...
I have been looking and I think it's easy enough to get the pcm unit out, so I'll probably just send it off for repair or even have a go myself if I can find the screen on ebay and I feel brave!
Bloody thing! Ive emailed a few of the companies who do the repairs so no idea on cost yet.
I might have a look at doing the AC control knobs while ive got it apart as well...

Yeah I know what the purists mean, but mine is a daily drive so it needs to function properly and not wind me up when I use it, as the PCM2.1 does/did.

If I ever need to make it stock, I can simply get a PCM2.1 from places like ebay......

So, take it out, put something nice in, put the PCM back in when and if you need to!

Don't think I really understand what a 'purist' actually is, are they infiltrating this forum :?:

just an update on this... finally got round to getting my PCM out and sent it off to get repaired.
didn't go to maple audio, contacted one of those guys off eBay and sent it off - was back with me within a couple of days fully repaired, having had circuit board and screen repaired / replaced, for £250. when I asked my indy about it, he said he pays around 450 for the same repair!
here is the newly repaired PCM fitted back in today - it had got a lot worse since I posted this thread originally, lines had taken up an inch on the right hand side of the screen...
the guy who repaired it is
https://www.facebook.com/novasatnav/
http://www.novacartech.co.uk/contact-us/

would recommend his service if you are suffering the same issue!

Attachments

• whatsapp_image_2018_09_19_at_200454_128.jpeg
    whatsapp_image_2018_09_19_at_200454_128.jpeg
    193.4 KB · Views: 2,048
Good to know thanks

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back