Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Banger-nomics?

Bangernomics makes perfect sense!!!

Got the 996T for the odd run out.

Everyday I use my T5 shuttle, perfect motor in my eyes, can fit loads of wheels and GT3 seats in it :D ...and the Cossie of course!

Mrs has a Volvo V50 too

Sold the R1 now...biggest regret ever :sad:

Go for it Lynchy

:thumb:

I try not to. I like driving nice cars, so I have diffetent cars for different things, but not really any bangers. Good cars tend to hold their value, so with a bit of luck they won't cost you.

MC

Chipped Mercedes E Class Estate.
Class, baby.

Same price as a 993 suspension upgrade.

I tried this idea, not to keep the mileage down as doing big miles is why I have a 996 but more for when I needed to bus some mates about or similar. I'm genuinely allergic to anything sensible so I ended up buying a Prodrive'd RX8:

Like all RX8s it needed a few bits so we fitted some LS coils to it, changed the starter, put a big radiator in it etc. etc. It worked well and it did bus mates around but it was SOOOOO slow compared to the 996 and had naff all torque anywhere but at 7K RPM odd that I had no choice but to buy another engine and build a bridge ported motor for it with big apex seals and pinned bearings etc. etc. It now goes to 10,000 RPM and uses more fuel than the Porsche, most of which is ejected out the back in flame form as it now has no cats.....

Idea well and truly failed as I now STILL need to find something sensible to bus mates about in etc. :lol:

Still suicide doors are always cool :D

I think you've missed the point. In spectacular fashion. :floor:

Here s my station car/hack which I ll use from next month after the VFR is taken off the road for the winter. It's got 4 wheel drive if we get any more bad weather a la 2010.
We use it to ferry the dog about, it's quite roomy and has been totally reliable all for £700, inc a set of winter tyres!😀😀

Attachments

• img_1745_625.jpg
    img_1745_625.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 4,001
Not sure it's Bangernomics but I run a mk5 Golf GTi alongside my 996. Surprisingly competent car and with the DSG gearbox it's more relaxing than the 996 at commuting.

Took 12 months for me too warm to it but now not sure what I'd replace it with! Triumph Sprint 1050 does the summer commuting too, but getting too old for cold and wet rides. :oops:

plynchy said:
I think you've missed the point. In spectacular fashion. :floor:

Yeah, that is a beauty :lol: It's what happens when you start looking for a car; scope creep of the highest order.

Yeah I need something sensible, with 4 seats and 4 doors, that I don't want to spend loads of money on.

Oh look I've bought and RX8 and modified it :lol:

Mk4 Golf TDI 130, paid 1k for it had new Michy all weather tyres fitted, just put diesel in and MOT it, perfect daily, when I come to sell it it will sell for close to 1k.
Has a tow bar for reversing :lol: an after market inter cooler kit, it starts every time does plenty of miles and can be a work horse if reacquired.

I only use my 911 for 6 months of the year. Recently purchased this beast for my daily commute. I'm absolutely smitten though and can't stop driving it! The 911 is pretty much done now in terms of mods/big jobs so been spending all my money on this. Just about to have KW V3 coilovers and Eibach ARBS kit fitted. Not really a banger I know, but never been able to be sensible with my cars!!

Attachments

• img_4679_175.png
    img_4679_175.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 3,898
  • img_4680_156.png
    img_4680_156.png
    1 MB · Views: 3,898
Does my daily being a bicycle count?! Ha ha

Plan was to get my missus a beater (Polo or Beetle) that I could use for the odd shop run etc. But she doesn't have a license yet and is dragging her feet.

Not sure as it stands, secondary car running costs is worth it in that I commute on the bike. Would like something I don't care about for all situations though.

Least I get to drive my P&J whenever I need to make a car journey I suppose. Appreciate for some on here, a Cayman would class as the run about.

We had two bangers, a Mondeo diesel (great for camping, Tescos, miles on the motorway atc) and C's Celica (great for everything from trips to the tip to street cred in the playground)

The Toyota was getting old (but very reliable) so we bought the 996 as a replacement. We soon decided that the 996 was not ideal for trips to the tip of Tescos or other short trips so we kept all three. The Mondeo and Toyota are very cheap to run and the only downside is that the 996 gets blocked in the drive and we have to swap the cars around to use it. However we've probably done more miles in the 996 than either of the others!

Cheers for that, more informed opinions. :thumbs:

My current fleet:

S-Max (the wife's)
996 T
Cossie (usually in bits)

I'm considering a runabout as the wife now uses her car much more frequently for work when I'm onshore, leaving me at the mercy of my Pork (poor me), which isn't always ideal for DIY runs etc or even shopping sometimes, I'm going off the idea of short salty school runs (mechanical sympathy plays a part in this too).

The Cossie (when running) is only ever a summer car, not intending to send the 996 this way completely but having the option to be more selective about it's duties is a plus point for me.

I use my 997 turbo as my daily. Did over 16k miles in the last year.

To me, running an old banger as a daily just isnt financially & logically worth it. Sure you can buy an old banger for circa £1000, but when I try to insure that, even though I have 25 years NCB on my 997, the cost of Insurance is more than im currently paying for my 997. Even when I look at multicar Insurance policies. Take that, then factor in servicing, tyres, MOT, tax, plus maybe a larger bill should the clutch go etc. When I look at the total figure for the year, even taking into account the mpg saving a banger might give over my 997 it just isnt worth it compared to the depreciation of my 997. I actually drew up a spreadsheet to compare the costs.

Plus, being a married man with 2 kids I get zero free time at the weekends to enjoy any of my toys or even carry out any hobbies/interests, so leaving the 997 as a "weekend" car means it would just never get used the same as all my motorbikes.

I did try it once a few years back when my wife got a company car, so I could use her old car & her Insurance for a year along side my sports car. I used her old banger car 3 or 4 days a week and my sports car maybe once a week. Result was that I kept the mileage on the sports car nice & low for the next owner, plus it felt "quicker" as most of the time I was driving a slow old diesel. However, when I came to sell my sports car I lost about £6000 on it in that year, I lost £600 on the old banger, plus the cost of maintaining both of them throughout that year. So I decided the way forward was to sell both & get one practical car which could do everything.

The only time I can see it really working out, is if you want a really really unpractical car for weekend use and a regular car for week use where you cant use the unpractical car. But for me a 997 turbo is a very practical car. I took both kids to football this weekend, one of which is still in a baby seat etc. Loaded all them and all their gear to go to away for a weekend etc. no problems.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golfguy11800
Back