Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Heavy clutch?? Try this

Gixxer996

Just thought id share some info following a recent clutch change.

I only changed mine as I was replacing the RMS anyway. As the pictures below show my old clutch is in near perfect condition with little wear (it was replaced around 5 years ago). The reason for the post is the difference I have in pedal feel. My clutch actuation is now silky smooth and almost as light as our 2017 fiesta ST.
I will point out that I also updated the release arm/ pivot pin/ pressure plate and release bearing and obviously new fluid.

The point I am trying to make is that the parts I replaced were all in ok condition with only minor wear. I personally believe the improvement is mainly down to the new slave cylinder. I had not long replaced the fluid with my old components, so that cannot be the reason for the improvement.

If you have a heavy clutch pedal I would strongly recommend replacing your slave cylinder before anything else, as it is cheap, easily accessible and straight forward to change.

Happy tinkering!

Attachments

• img_5253_642.jpg
    img_5253_642.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 3,697
  • img_5249_121.jpg
    img_5249_121.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 3,696
  • img_5250_1_155.jpg
    img_5250_1_155.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 3,697
  • img_5288_121.jpg
    img_5288_121.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 3,697
I hope those Converse have got steel toe caps in young man. :wink:

Good info bud.

Mine is going down for exactly that job next month. Current clutch has only done 20k but I've a new one to go in with RMS, IMS cover etc. I may as well stick a slave cylinder on the list too. Cheers. :thumb:

Converse are the footwear for all scenarios! Only exception are flipflops!

Also double check your release arm for any wear on the slave cylinder contact point as again these are cheap and could give a notchy pedal feel.

Whilst the transmission is out, you may also want to consider your AOS as it is so much easier to access.

I had an AOS fail on my boxster s a few years back and the amount of smoke they cause is scary!!

I persevered with a heavy clutch on the 4s for 2 years.
Checked the pedal assist spring as well.

Long story but subsequently had a gearbox rebuild. New clutch , flywheel etc.

Mike at Sports & Classic said slave cylinder was FUBAR and that I also had a Bent release fork :dont know:

What came first who knows ... But a new slave cylinder some miles back could have saved me a £5k bill :sad:

I assume that changing the slave cylinder is an engine out job and splitting the engine and gearbox? My clutch is pretty heavy, but I'm used to it and feel that waiting til the clutch needs doing again may be the right time to do it. BUT, that could be a few years yet, so was wondering if it was worth tackling it now.

AOS is on my list of "possibles".

Big list of "definites" though, so it's where to you draw the line. They're only about £100 though aren't they. AOS along with IMS seal flipped, new water pump, LTT, clutch and RMS would pretty much be everything I could do that's preventative without going into the engine I suppose, so I should really do it with this next batch of work.

Cheers. :thumb:

Good infopost :thumb: :thumb:

Shurv- the slave cylinder is external nothing else needs to be removed. Simply 2 bolts and the clutch line. Hardest part is bleeding the fluid after (not difficult).

Marky911 - AOS is about £100 if memory serves correct. However when I bought mine from design 911 they only had a replica part in stock @ £50. I bought it and to be honest it looks pretty good, clearly out of a different mould to the original, but very comparable. My thoughts are it would definitely be better than my existing one and has no fittment or running issues- so all good.

That's a nice list of jobs your getting ticked off there!!

Brake lines whilst the engine is out?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back