Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Floating Spline Drive Brakes - Next Upgrade

What's the spec on that Lobro grease your using PPBB, looks very trick and much nicer than the usual horrid stuff.

Guywilko said:
Really fascinating, thanks.

My C4 ( a measly 101k miles) has a clonky front CV. Is it a regrease (on or off car) or is it a replacement job?

Cheers Guy

Replacement I'm afraid, if it's clonking then it's worn (the excess clearance between the cage and balls or balls and body is what is causing it to clonk). The idea behind stripping and inspecting them is to monitor them for wear so you can make a good guess at when they will need replacing but I've always run a much better than standard grease in them which seems to be keeping any significant wear at bay.

EGTE said:
Damn, your face must come off when you brake with that set-up :D.

I put Cayenne brembos on a (1600Kg) RS4 and they would almost swap the car around if you braked in a turn.... on a 1300Kg 911; wow.

Yes they're quite good. The plan was to essentially transplant the brake system from a 2.3 Tonne car to a 1.3 Tonne car with the idea that if the standard bits in that worked well enough to stop 2.3 Tonnes from 170mph then on the lighter car they would offer good performance, low wear rate and cheap bits! The pads I use are £50 a set for example :)

The rear is using the original front calipers with a 330mm GT3 disc so brake bias is still pretty much as it was, you can trail brake without unsetting it but as always with a 996 the engine position helps with that!

Harv said:
What's the spec on that Lobro grease your using PPBB, looks very trick and much nicer than the usual horrid stuff.

It's Redline CV2 - https://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=82

We use it in a lot of the race cars including some of the F1s. Unlike most F1 lubricants it's actually quite cheap and a vast improvement on the usual stuff that gets used in road cars as standard.

Replacement I'm afraid, if it's clonking then it's worn (the excess clearance between the cage and balls or balls and body is what is causing it to clonk). The idea behind stripping and inspecting them is to monitor them for wear so you can make a good guess at when they will need replacing but I've always run a much better than standard grease in them which seems to be keeping any significant wear at bay.[/quote]

Thanks. Is there a GKN part no for the inners and outers? can only find a full driveshaft in porsche catalogue.

Thanks for the grese info (I shall be inspecting re packing mine with this stuff) :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back