Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Zunsport Mesh Grilles for 991.2 GTS

OK, so I am reassured about how the side grills clip in and out. What's the deal with the self tappers on the centre grills?

Having cleaned out the radiators twice now in the last 2 weeks I went for a set of these for my car.
Driving up to the Lakes for the weekend (Cartmel Races) thought I'd drop into Zunsport and have them fitted.

Have to say I'm very pleased with how they look.

Attachments

• 20170824_130431964_ios_115.jpg
    20170824_130431964_ios_115.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 8,097
So ... I ended up ordering a set of these as I like the way they look and was reassured on the fixing mechanism.

I decided not to fit the center three as I didn't like the idea of screwing self tapping screws into the body work of the car 'blind' for the center unit. Just seemed a bit agricultural to me and unnecessary since the center one is a blank anyway. Likewise the next two out as they aren't in direct airflow and provide useful access in behind the outer two.

The outer pair look very smart, but when you insert them as per the instructions they are under stress as they bend around the bar that goes horizontally across the aperture.

This pic shows them in place with no pressure applied. You can see them resting on the bar and also the gap getting wider higher up.

1.jpg

This one is pushing them into place, so bending them around the horizontal bar. You can improve it with pressure, but the gap is still there as the grill sits on the top of the vane.

2.jpg

The gapping around them is also 'variable', close in some places and quite wide in others. The gapping is better if you really force them, but then they are definitely putting pressure on existing parts.

They do locate in place firmly and wont damage the paint, but I am not convinced on how well they would stand up to repeated removal and refitting given you are bending metal tabs. I also think they will chafe where they are touching so are likely to mark the car. You definitely cant take the middle one off again if you've fitted the two self tappers without exposing the self tapped holes... and I really wanted something that wasn't going to mark the car at all, so if I chose to I could stop using them.

So whilst if I stood back I like the way they looked, I couldn't bring myself to fit them to my pride and joy as for me they fall short of the fit and alignment of the rest of the vehicle. My OPC had a 991.2 GT3 in when I was there a day or two ago and the grills fitted to that are night and day better.

It looks like the Turbo versions are fitted in smaller sections under the vanes and not over them and I think the GTS set would work better if it was the same. So a two part set instead of a single part that exerts pressure on the existing vane.

When I looked closer at other peoples pics of the GTS set I could see the same gapping and the same issue with them being under stress. I guess we all have different views on what is a good fit!

Anyway, Zundsport were excellent and refunded me my money with no quibbles. So a big thumbs up for their customer service. This specific grill set just isn't for me.

Thanks for post weejimmy. I have had my GTS for a month now and still hadn't ordered them - as you say only the outside ones are protecting the radiators, and I do like the look of my car as it is - I've been imagining them in place and thinking that I don't really want them. Zunsport are obviously appreciated by many happy customers but in this instance your photos have helped me finally decide not to bother.

Gorsh said:
Thanks for post weejimmy. I have had my GTS for a month now and still hadn't ordered them - as you say only the outside ones are protecting the radiators, and I do like the look of my car as it is - I've been imagining them in place and thinking that I don't really want them. Zunsport are obviously appreciated by many happy customers but in this instance your photos have helped me finally decide not to bother.

No problem! Lot's clearly love them, but they just aren't for me.

Now where's the thread about your GTS? Would love to read some other people's real world thoughts! :?: :thumb:

weejimmy said:
It looks like the Turbo versions are fitted in smaller sections under the vanes and not over them and I think the GTS set would work better if it was the same. So a two part set instead of a single part that exerts pressure on the existing vane.

Your spot on and looking at your pictures I'm not sure I'd be happy with that fitment either.

The fact that the outer grills fit behind the vanes makes a whole lot of difference. However they do fit neatly in front of the centre vanes on my Turbo bit not in a way that looks untidy or mis aligned so I'm happy.

In 997 land Zunsports are more successful when the air intake is just a hole rather than when they have some kind of slat there IMO. The 997.2 have slats across the outer intakes and I found that the zunsport grills didn't sit so well or look quite right so I had the bumper taken off and racing mesh fixed there, it looked OEM to me. In contrast, the intakes on my 997.1 GT3 have no slats and the Zunsport grills sit nicely and look OEM to me.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back