Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

C4 box in a c2 car

captain caveman said:
Yes 3.4 think the 3.6 is different?
Agree £2500 for a used box is bit of a piss take if you ask me.
At that sort of money i,d have my old one rebuilt first.

The 3.6 gearbox was strengthened internally. Might be worth getting hold of the Adrian Streather book, there is a huge amount useful information in there.

MC

Ive asked the question and a couple of people think the only difference is the bell housing witch is interchangeable.
I,l look it this more next week.

Anyone able to shine some light on this?
Ive been told by a breakers yard the 3.4 C2 manual has 3 or more different gearboxes?
The box in my car is a Gatrax or something and the other boxes wont fit.
Anyone know different?

captain caveman said:
Ive been told by a breakers yard the 3.4 C2 manual has 3 or more different gearboxes?
Anyone know different?

Could be 'Getrag', as in the manufacturer?

I have no idea on the price/availability/compatibility of the different boxes, but looking on the parts catalogue there seems to be a few types depending on the model year etc:

https://www.porsche.com/all/media/pdf/originalparts/en/E_996_KATALOG.pdf

(Around page 77)

To me £2.5k for a used box sounds steep, especially if they're known to develop problems. Surely someone out there rebuilds them with new bits for less than that?

No wonder these cars still make strong money with blown engines etc if a used gearbox for a C2 makes £2.5k. Hell even for circa £10k for a scruffy runner or a bit less you can see now how well they break up - engines make a good few £k (£4/5/6k+ from what I've seen!)

captain caveman said:
Anyone know different?

Get a copy of the Adrian Streather book on the 996. All the information you need is in there.

MC

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back