Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Newbie + 997 turbo

Welcome!

Nice way to get into Porsche ownership. Regards the splitter, just think of it as a disposable item and change it every now and then. I have a low front lip so that's how I see it.

I've had mpg in the 30s but it my recent trip to France the best I could muster was 25s mpg. But my car is modified so no surprises.

Nice to see I am not the only one whose first ever Porsche is a 997 turbo!

911TEL said:
Welcome to the forum ....!

I like the 911 in silver , I had 3 silver porches and believe that silver shows the curves off really well .....
Second only in class to the Basalt Black car, which is documented as the fastest colour ...😎😎

I can see that You will just need to learn the tricks of using angles and raised approaches with the splitter, that's just one of the Porsche anomalies to learn at first ...

30+ mpg is good and rarely seen , was that an average over a long distance or just a one off short flash up of the figure?

Enjoy, and remember, as its your first .......they can bite ...!!

Thanks. The Basalt Blacks are beautiful and was my preference - unfortunately there weren't many around in my desired spec and the silver looked quite understated.

The average was 30+ over the entire journey.

I appreciate I've jumped in the deep end slightly, but when you say "they can bite", is there anything I should be careful about? As you can see from my mpg I'm not an out and out hooner but I'd welcome thoughts from other owners on tips/best practices to driving and maintaining the 997.1 turbo.

Beautiful car, looks stunning.

Love the aerokit too, always a great and sought after addition.

My first Porsche was also a 997 Turbo :)

:welcome:

Cracking car and introduction to it :thumb:

My average MPG also has a '3' and a '2'.........though not in that particular order..... :oops:

:thumbs:

Sid85 said:
Scholester said:
Leave the splitter Sid as the Aero look would not be complete without it. Super looking car.

Thanks Scholester. I just hate finding myself in these situations:

lovely car and Welcome , unfortunately to get the stance right we have to suffer a bit with the front lip rubbing its only a small plastic bit of trim and I always now consider them a disposable item and change when they get too knocked about, cost is roughly £180 for a new one . Some guys wrap them in clear wrap to give them some protection and the self healing wrap is supposed to be quite good . :thumb:

Phil 997 said:
Sid85 said:
Scholester said:
Leave the splitter Sid as the Aero look would not be complete without it. Super looking car.

lovely car and Welcome , unfortunately to get the stance right we have to suffer a bit with the front lip rubbing its only a small plastic bit of trim and I always now consider them a disposable item and change when they get too knocked about, cost is roughly £180 for a new one . Some guys wrap them in clear wrap to give them some protection and the self healing wrap is supposed to be quite good . :thumb:

I just bought a spare aero front splitter, painted and stone chip protection is a bargain at £1500 :eek:

At least I don't need to worry so much. :D

Boba fett said:
Phil 997 said:
Sid85 said:
Scholester said:

I just bought a spare aero front splitter, painted and stone chip protection is a bargain at £1500 :eek:

Your far too canny to have paid that mate unless the chip protection is made of 22 st gold :grin: :grin: :thumb: :thumb:

Phil 997 said:
Boba fett said:
Phil 997 said:
Sid85 said:
Scholester said:

Your far too canny to have paid that mate unless the chip protection is made of 22 st gold :grin: :grin: :thumb: :thumb:

Indeed :thumb: but it would be costly if you did clout it :thumb:

Ah so all the money is in painting and wrapping how do you find the wrap working, is it doing the job protecting the lip :thumb:

Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the forum, I look forward to seeing your car.

When I drove my Gen 1 down to London I filled it before setting off thinking that a tank full would get me to my destination. On the way down I took it easy with the C/C on and watched the mpg steadily rise to over 30 mpg.
I also had well over 1/4 tank left over which proved the gauge wasn't lying, I only get slightly better mpg with a diesel Touareg!

As for looking after a Gen 1 the engine is bomb proof but just watch the oil usage, always check using the electronic gauge when it's hot.
Watch tyre wear which will be uneven if the tracking's out, easily rectified but tyres need to be new.
The coolant hoses tend to corrode and not from the outside but from the inside out! Hoses are easy to change but can be cleaned and a new 'O' ring fitted but check the alloy coupling on the flexi hose side as the ring can split and hence leak.
If you have any problems just come on here and ask, you'll get lots of input.

Enjoy the car they are a hoot and addictive as hell :)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mint_Sauce
Back