Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Door seals - anyone replaced them?

Cameltoe & Heel said:
NOT dommorton said:
I was genuinely surprised with the extra force needed to close the doors after I replaced mine - just goes to show how the seals get tired and lose their elasticity after 20 years or so.

OR is this due to the fact you installed the wrong seals?, although it does make you think why there's such a gulf in price here :?:

Trev

It wasn't me that said that!

I need new rubbers for both of mine as well....I was going to wait until it went in for the body work.
But I am now wondering how many of us are suffering from worn rubbers? The consequences don't bare thinking about, apparently Prince William had the same issue and look whats happened to him now!

So with the cost similar to several years worth of Burkinstocks perhaps we could do a group buy and get a bit of a discount?? Shame the pound is lower then the Rand at present as I am sure we could source these outside of the UK at a half decent price??

:?: For the life of me I can't work out what I put ***** that ended up being censored :oops:

Zingari said:
:?: For the life of me I can't work out what I put ***** that ended up being censored :oops:

It wasn't "25 bags" ?? The illuminati are strong here as you know and move in mysterious ways...

As above. I did some long overdue winter fettling amongst other stuff. I had a small leak that I couldn't locate and whilst my mechanic was investigating he found that the original door seal rubbers had persished somewhat and recommended replacing them. Imagine my horror when I got a phone call to inform me of the part price. Yep, £377 + VAT. Anyway, after my initial shock I agreed. Apparently up until 2 years ago according to my mechanic, Porsche prices were around £120 + VAT, go figure. Like Zing says, you can't run an old girl on a shoestring. I don't plan to sell anytime soon but a well looked after 993 will always stand out.

Door seals

Anyone with a convertible or Targa get ready to fork out even more £££s for your genuine door seals. The convertible costs around £450 each side and the Targa as much as £495 for one and £520 for the other :eek:
Just out of interest door seals for a modern 997 cost between £150-160 each, depending on your outlook it just shows how Porsche are taking avantage of the 993 popularity.. or just taking the p***
Porsche are not the only manufacturer taking advantage, Mercedes have been at it for years. I have an eighties Mercedes R107 and the price of genuine and reproduction chrome and bright metal parts have gone through the roof. In 2007 I needed to replace a small bright metal trim on the hardtop, the cost was acceptable so I bought both sides, £89. To replace them today is £188 each! To replace the front bumper chrome is now over £2000.

For me this is probably the single most depressing aspect of classic car ownership these days - the simple reality of opportunistic pricing of parts and to some extent services.

When you can buy a VW or Ford part for £30, Porsche and pattern part makers expecting you to part with £200 (using the example of wheel speed sensors) is extracting the pizzle.

And another thing...

Is it opportunist pricing or the reality of low production runs? Surely if the prices get too high and the demand is there a new pattern supplier will fill the gap. This is what's happened with Land Rover to the point where they've been priced out of the market for spare parts.

Porsche decided some time ago I'm sure that it wasn't just the owners of classic's that were going to enjoy the appreciation in value.

I said before on here that the rear Carrera badge in 2010 was £15.00 today it's £50.00 with VAT etc justify that for a piece of plastic script :x

ATB :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max V
Back