Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Wing mirror motor not working properly

ualla

Hi all! I wanted to run something by you.

Since I bought my 996, the passenger side electric motor wasn't working properly. Pressing down would make the mirror slowly go down, but the other directions simply wouldn't work. I blamed the motor.

I recently bought a brand new OEM motor and replaced it, but the results are exactly the same as before. In fact, the motor I removed was a non OEM one so previous owner obviously drew the same conclusions as me.

Now before I start taking off the door card etc, does anybody have an idea of what could be causing the problem?

Thanks!

This is really something i would need to have booked in at work to diagnose .. but always happy to have a wild stab in the dark !

The dirvers side works fine i take it and as 1 function works on the passengers side then the change over switch is fine .. therefore its a wiring fault.

Assumeing theres nothing wrong with the plug wiring to the mirror then i would go for a broken wire in the door harness or possibly a high resistance but i would start with checking the wiring for it .

Demort said:
This is really something i would need to have booked in at work to diagnose .. but always happy to have a wild stab in the dark !

The dirvers side works fine i take it and as 1 function works on the passengers side then the change over switch is fine .. therefore its a wiring fault.

Assumeing theres nothing wrong with the plug wiring to the mirror then i would go for a broken wire in the door harness or possibly a high resistance but i would start with checking the wiring for it .

Thanks Demort! I always appreciate your stabs in the dark, they are usually pretty accurate :)

I can confirm that the driver's side wing mirror works perfectly fine and so does the switch over. My assumption was wiring as well, hence why I was going to remove the door card to have a look.

Thank you!!

This was one of the first things that went haywire when my ignition switch was on the way out. if the door wiring doesn't fix it , you may be worth while checking the ignition switch.

nicktg said:
This was one of the first things that went haywire when my ignition switch was on the way out. if the door wiring doesn't fix it , you may be worth while checking the ignition switch.

Oh wow, that's interesting. Would never have connected the 2. Thanks for the heads up!

infrasilver said:
Mine only worked up and down but not left and right a while ago, I traced it to a dodgy wire in the plug behind the interior triangle panel and I had to re-terminate the plug wire.

Ah cool, thanks infrasilver! seems like a similar problem to mine, I'll look there first.

Cheers guys

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back