Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Aerokit vs non aerokit - which do you prefer?

Do you prefer an aerokit on a 996?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Not bothered either way

• Total voters
this is the clean simple lines I like.

Attachments

• 996_side_592.jpg
    996_side_592.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 4,819
What about the widebody aerokit? I'm biased but i think it looks better than the narrow body one

Aerokit was essential for me. 996 is (to my eye) far too plain without it. M030 was also essential, the standard ride height, particularly without aerokit being (again to my eye) far too high, aesthetically.

Attachments

• img_6931_853.jpg
    img_6931_853.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 4,790
Bodykits aren't for me I'm afraid!! They deface the simplicity and purity of cars. A bit like painting a moustache on the Mona Lisa to coin a phrase.

They look like what they are - an afterthought that is not integrated into the design like wings, spats, arch extensions. These are often seen on Subarus and Mitsubishis, most of which generate little else but drag and noise!

Beautiful performance cars have the anti lift measures already designed in; look at the current crop of Ferraris, like the 488, the Portofino and LaFerrari. The anti lift is created by invisible (mostly) diffusers and under car venturis - a much more efficient solution.

The 911 doesn't look beautiful to my eyes, but the best 911 roadcar, the 911R looks the best of all - to me!

A mate used to have a pristine 996.2 C2S with Aerokit, had been specced up in every way imaginable to get as close to a GT3 as poss by the previous owner. Bar rear wiper deletion. Had the full cage and all the trimmings inside. Just lacked the Mezger.

One question though, what were those little fins at the back bumper called? And were they ever fitted to the real GT3s?

Said car pictured below en route to The Ring back in the day.

Attachments

• gt3_and_hotel_in_brussels_783.jpg
    gt3_and_hotel_in_brussels_783.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 2,730
I think aero-kit is more eye-catching and "racy", although I would prefer a deeper front bumper.

However, I also appreciate the clean, simple lines of the 996.

p.s. Our door-pulls all exactly match the shape of the GT3 wing , so we're all sort of aero-kitted :)

Bit of a tricky one for me. I think the Aero cars look good. However, they are essentially a GT3 looky likey without any extra performance. To me the spoiler is just a bit OTT as well for a car that is actually not that quick. I'm a 50-50 I suppose.

Right now, 100% Aero kit :thumbs:

20/30 years time, just plain Jane with orange lights :D

:thumb:

Bluebird911 said:
Beautiful performance cars have the anti lift measures already designed in; look at the current crop of Ferraris, like the 488, the Portofino and LaFerrari. The anti lift is created by invisible (mostly) diffusers and under car venturis - a much more efficient solution.

That's all well and good 'now' but this post is discussing aerokits in the Porsche 996 section, a design that is over 20 years old and contemporary with the Ferrari F50 which had front and rear ends designed by Halfords/Ripspeed :eek: :grin:

Does anyone happen to know if an Aero kitted car can be fitted with a non Aero retractable lid without too many hassles, e.g. is the wiring and switch gear all present?

Very easy swap. Look on 101 project site: 4 bolts and a push connector.

However, you won't have the switch in a car that was aerokit from factory.

Just done it myself. Obviously will not be getting rid of spoiler trunk......

Aero all the way. It was a must when buying mine

Attachments

• img_4470_154.jpg
    img_4470_154.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2,566
On this subject, what's interesting to me is just how good the RPM CSR car looks with the .1 Aerokit front bumper and sills plus a ducktail.

Porsche996RPMCSR_03.jpg

I've seen one or two examples in the metal a few times and indeed driven one and it looks absolutely stellar. Which is odd because it's got those awful glued-on sill covers! Somehow, it works really well.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back