Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Early 996, should I spend?

Steve Gom said:
Jonny996 said:
you might not be to precious about driving it but that still does not look like a 100,000 mile 18 year old car.........
these 996.1 really have aged very gracefully

For some context, my (now) wife, and I acquired our brand new Saxo VTR in electric blue in Sept 1997 following the 2 year free Insurance deal released by Citroen. My 996 was probably ordered around the same time and was delivered to it's first owner in Nov 1997.

My wife was a mere 22 back then so the free Insurance was a real sweetener. We did 60,000 happy miles in the car in 5 years with no issues, having serviced the car through the Citroen dealership we bought it from.

I cleaned it nearly every weekend before I sold it to a mate in late 2003 who wasn't so keen on the cleaning but he got the oil and filters etc changed each year when it was MOT'd at his local garage. He managed another 30,000miles in the car before it was scrapped in 2014!

Ok a lot of older 911's will have comprehensive folders full of invoices for maintenance covering twice the cost of the new VTR I'm sure, but you just don't see that many 'R' Reg cars still being regularly used on the road these days do you?

Edit - My neighbour has a really nice 96 P reg Volvo Estate which is in good nick, only 130K mile too

:D

Your car looks lovely as is - as you say not many 20 year old cars still going.

I believe Porsche reckons 70% of all their cars ever made are still on the road!

I wonder what the figure is for other manufacturers like Mercedes and BMW and Citroen?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back