Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.2 Prices

This is good reassuring reading. I'm just about to pick up a gen 2 turbo from a main dealer. More expensive than they were but let's hope the residual values stay high.

I will post pictures later in the week once she arrives!

Good to read :thumb:

Hoping the 2011 GTS I bought from the OPC just a couple of months back maintains a nice residual. Looks reasonable value against some of the gen2 cars currently for sale .

MNC911 said:
The feedback they're getting is 991 owners feel encased with the center console and cockpit design. They have buyers trading in for the 997.2 as PCM and other aspects can be upgraded.

I have heard that as well guys just finding the 991 a bit big and boring even the interior isn't very inspiring. I think the 997.2 is seeing this effect as buyers choose a 997.2 over a 991 as a proper driving car. Its interesting as it feeds onto the other discussion that the Cayman is now Porsche sports car and the 991 is a big GT cruiser so if thats the case then the 997.2 could well end up being the last 911 and that will have a big impact on its prices.
:thumb:

Phil 997 said:
I have heard that as well guys just finding the 991 a bit big and boring even the interior isn't very inspiring. I think the 997.2 is seeing this effect as buyers choose a 997.2 over a 991 as a proper driving car. Its interesting as it feeds onto the other discussion that the Cayman is now Porsche sports car and the 991 is a big GT cruiser so if thats the case then the 997.2 could well end up being the last 911 and that will have a big impact on its prices.

The rest of the reasoning might be so but I can't really see how a difference in length of 2.2 inches can make such a difference especially as both cars are the same width. :?

The 991 looks a lot bigger than a 997 but it's the shape and stance of the car rather than the overall physical dimensions.

easternjets said:
The one thing the Gen 1 turbo does have over everything else is that Mezger engine, that's whats keeping the residuals high on those ones, that and a manual box.

Are you a Boba Fett fanboy?

Laid in my bunk offshore last night, I read some production data. There were over 20,200 997.1 turbo's made. 3800 997.2 turbo's and 2000 997.2S. I guess that makes the gen 2 a bit more exclusive. Will that impact residuals?

T8 said:
Phil 997 said:

The rest of the reasoning might be so but I can't really see how a difference in length of 2.2 inches can make such a difference especially as both cars are the same width. :?

The 991 looks a lot bigger than a 997 but it's the shape and stance of the car rather than the overall physical dimensions.

I understand what you mean Phil by GT cruiser. When I'm at PCGB meets the new Cayman and Boxster physically look another level from its rivals BMW and Mazda etc. If I were on a track day I'd want to be in a Cayman. Long journeys to Europe the 911.

Having been a 997 Gen 1 owner to 991 Gen 1 (15) I can relate to a lot of the comments. I would agree that the car doesn't feel bigger to drive from a size point of view but I would say it feels a lot more comfortable on the inside.

Mrs Chrisbill much prefers the 991, however for me it just doesn't quite feel the same. It misses a lot of the quirks of a slightly older 911. Everything just kind of works a little too well. Not as many squeaks, not as many smells etc etc.

I can't say I'd go back, a cruiser is much better for my needs, but I would like a 997 in the garage.

I can still rest assured though I have one of the last 3.8l N/A engines and in due course that will hold well for residuals.

Norfolk & Idea said:
easternjets said:
The one thing the Gen 1 turbo does have over everything else is that Mezger engine, that's whats keeping the residuals high on those ones, that and a manual box.

Are you a Boba Fett fanboy?

Laid in my bunk offshore last night, I read some production data. There were over 20,200 997.1 turbo's made. 3800 997.2 turbo's and 2000 997.2S. I guess that makes the gen 2 a bit more exclusive. Will that impact residuals?

20k of those where Tips.... :grin: :grin: :grin:

As you know I still think the Mezger manual is the sweet spot, when I was looking for one I did lots of research in what model to buy, its done me proud, and mines probably gone up more than if I had bought a Gen 2, so I'm happy. I know the .2 is the more refined, polished car, but that just makes the .1 more raw and noisy and GT3 esque surly. Also although proving to be good I still think the DFI is relatively new and has got some major proving to do before it matches the Mezger legend. Anyway this debate can go on for ever. Both great cars and still bargains.

On the 997 in general, why should it not go up, its got everything you want in a 911. I think its the best looking, its a nice 911 to drive, its raw and edgy enough yet comfortable, its got a comprehensive range that can suit every pocket and as this post appears to be geared towards the NA's the .2 is the sweet spot, due to its more reliable lump.

I think its great the 997 (and the 911 in general over the last few years) is enjoying some appreciation, they are performance bargain and an Iconic car that no other can match.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

T8 said:
Phil 997 said:

Parked next to each other, standing at the front, the 991 looks much bigger, but the higher back end, lower front end and screen angle amplifies the 2" difference.

The wheelbase and track increases are what makes a real difference to how these cars drive and how they feel. 10cm does not sound like a lot, but with PTV on both, it's the 991 that you feel it working on way more than the 997. You feel the front coming around on really tight bends rather than leading the way as it does in the 997. The smaller wheelbase/track and more enclosed cabin on the 997 make it more of a sports car. The 991 has the dash slightly lower and further away, due to the rake of the windscreen, which just makes the 991 feel a lot larger inside.

For spirited short blasts on a Sunday 997 edges it. But the 991 is a better 7 day car and wins hands down for longer distances. The 991 is a GT car no doubt, if porsche made that concious decision vs the Cayman as the sports model or if it is just the way it worked out is to be discussed.

Both 911 cars are amazing and anyone outside porsche circles probably thinks that we are nuts for so much discussion between cars that they think are the same, buts that's part of the fun of the porsche precision brand imho, subtle evolution.

Values? Cars are supposed to depreciate....but 997 values will hold up well vs the relative costs of the 991 as there is quite a gap in list....the man maths have to stretch a little further to make changing cars work. Who knows what will happen to the market though. Just enjoy them.

The feedback they're getting is 991 owners feel encased with the center console and cockpit design. They have buyers trading in for the 997.2 as PCM and other aspects can be upgraded.

WOW! I've never heard, or even thought, that the interior cabin would feel claustrophobic.

Having owned two 997's, I think they're great cars. However, every time I see a 991, I'm totally drawn to it and craving to own one. The Cabriolet looks so damn good even with the roof up as Porsche have got the lines perfect on the design. And the Coupe - well that's just a beautiful machine. Strictly speaking technically, is the 991 not a far better all-round car than the 997?

@ChrisBill - I totally hear you re: the squeaks and creaks. They certainly add more character. I just never thought "period features" would be something us 911 guys would seek in a car!!

I'm in no hurry to sell my 997.2; I'm thoroughly enjoying ownership and reading threads like this makes me appreciate it even more!

I'm interested to know how many other 991 owners slightly regret "upgrading" from a 997 to 991?

Well If any collector out there wants the first 997.2 RHD 3.6 PDK to roll off the factory line (chassis No. 494), then let me know.

Happy to swap it with some cash for a 997 turbo or 991... ;-). - you never know your luck!

G2 said:
T8 said:
Phil 997 said:

Parked next to each other, standing at the front, the 991 looks much bigger, but the higher back end, lower front end and screen angle amplifies the 2" difference.

The wheelbase and track increases are what makes a real difference to how these cars drive and how they feel. 10cm does not sound like a lot, but with PTV on both, it's the 991 that you feel it working on way more than the 997. You feel the front coming around on really tight bends rather than leading the way as it does in the 997. The smaller wheelbase/track and more enclosed cabin on the 997 make it more of a sports car. The 991 has the dash slightly lower and further away, due to the rake of the windscreen, which just makes the 991 feel a lot larger inside.

For spirited short blasts on a Sunday 997 edges it. But the 991 is a better 7 day car and wins hands down for longer distances. The 991 is a GT car no doubt, if porsche made that concious decision vs the Cayman as the sports model or if it is just the way it worked out is to be discussed.

Both 911 cars are amazing and anyone outside porsche circles probably thinks that we are nuts for so much discussion between cars that they think are the same, buts that's part of the fun of the porsche precision brand imho, subtle evolution.

Values? Cars are supposed to depreciate....but 997 values will hold up well vs the relative costs of the 991 as there is quite a gap in list....the man maths have to stretch a little further to make changing cars work. Who knows what will happen to the market though. Just enjoy them.

When I bought mine in 2014, it worked out at 50% residual value.

In April I looked at prices and they had held up pretty well BUT the prices of 991s were 80% residual value for 3/4 year old cars.

The gap has certainly narrowed in the last 6 months at the OPC forecourts.
Whether they are offering better trade in value, I don't know.

I had the pleasure of driving a 718 Boxster S for a couple of days and was very impressed. Only a short time and I didn't do that many miles but I thought it was every bit as quick as my 4S. Obviously it felt lighter but I couldn't fault the steering. The only Turbo car I have driven to have no noticeable lag.

Sound wise...a hint of "Scooby" more than Porsche but that is understandable.

So the forthcoming Boxster/Caymen GTS is probably going to feel quicker than mine. (I guess on 10 or 15hp less?)

The thought of a Boxster being quicker will dent my pride somewhat.

There will always be quicker cars. I'm sure your average 964 owner doesn't care that a Seat is faster 0-62mph. In a few years you'll be able to buy a Golf R that will trounce a 997, but I won't care one bit either. It's more than numbers on a page
But back on topic, I'm constantly looking at what's on the market and have done since I started looking for mine years ago. Prices are holding solid with cheeky opportunist dealer out there. C4S holding strong and GTS prices being driven up by one particular dealer buying up just about every available car and whacking a far premium on....especially manual ones.

In a few years you'll be able to buy a Golf R that will trounce a 997

...maybe an Audi RS3 now, would give a 997 a run for it's money :dont know:

Have you seen the youtube footage of it "trouncing" the AMG Merc and others?

a RS4 hung on to me for a short while a few months back. (within the speed limits obviously)

Those RS3 drivers when they get into their car get to look at an Audi badge. We get to look at a dancing horse. 0-60 are just numbers or we'd all drive GTR's

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back