Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.2 Prices

Rhodris-dad

Have I been living in a bubble?

Last April my PCP finance finished on my 2010 4S. I looked at trading in for a 991.
However, 3 year old cars were at 80% of their original values, which meant they were out of my price range even though the prices of 4S' (OPC prices) had stayed the same as when I bought mine, 3 years previous.

Yesterday, I popped into my local OPC to find a 4S same year as mine, manual (mine PDK) for £57k!! (low miles admittedly) £11k more than I paid for mine in 2013.

I have done a quick search of OPCs this afternoon to find 20 cars, standard Carreras, S' and 4S' all over £50k.

What has happened in the 6 months since I last looked?

Turbo 996/997 prices have risen steadily over a much longer period, which everybody knows.

Is the 997.2 the "new" 993?????

Should I forget about a 991 (prices seem to have dropped a little) and hold on to my car? I am just amazed or is it confused?
:dont know:

If it was a silver one at Bristol that was my brother's. Immaculate car, new brakes, tyres, exhaust fittings etc, Porsche warranty but no bites at all when advertised twice privately at 10k less than that. Porsche Bristol then offered £500 less than the asking price and added the 10K. The car needed no prep other than extension to warranty. Nearly three months later the car is still in their showroom.

Make of that what you will. I think it suggests those prices are very optimistic. Still, my brother isn't complaining.

I've been watching 997.2 prices for the last 3 years looking for an opportunity and all cars have held their value or increased.

Frustrating for buyers, fantastic for owners and sellers.

I do not think the 997 is the new 993 (unfortunately), however, having said that the 997 gen 2's are certainly commanding strong money at the moment.

No idea why, perhaps it's because it is the last of the 'naturally aspirated' and 'non-electronic steering' 911's made, and it doesn't suffer from the scoring issues suffered by its older brothers. Porsche extending their warranty to 15 years certainly also helped to boost the allure of the older models. Who knows?

If you have equity in a clean 997.2 with a good specification and decent mileage, you can sleep easy knowing there is good demand for the car. Remember though, at the end of the day it's only worth what someone will pay for it, as pointed out by DrMark's post.

wasz said:
Did they actually offer to buy your car for more though?

I haven't had an answer.

It was Sunday and the salesman wouldn't commit without his boss.

I only went in to look at the jackets :D on my way to Cheshire Oaks.

drmark said:
If it was a silver one at Bristol that was my brother's. Immaculate car, new brakes, tyres, exhaust fittings etc, Porsche warranty but no bites at all when advertised twice privately at 10k less than that. Porsche Bristol then offered £500 less than the asking price and added the 10K. The car needed no prep other than extension to warranty. Nearly three months later the car is still in their showroom.

Make of that what you will. I think it suggests those prices are very optimistic. Still, my brother isn't complaining.

No it was a black one like mine with the only differences being non PDK non body colour wheels and non white rear light clusters.

On the website they have a red 2S at the same price!!!...but I didn't see it...sold maybe?

911_AS said:
I do not think the 997 is the new 993 (unfortunately), however, having said that the 997 gen 2's are certainly commanding strong money at the moment.

No idea why, perhaps it's because it is the last of the 'naturally aspirated' and 'non-electronic steering' 911's made, and it doesn't suffer from the scoring issues suffered by its older brothers. Porsche extending their warranty to 15 years certainly also helped to boost the allure of the older models. Who knows?

If you have equity in a clean 997.2 with a good specification and decent mileage, you can sleep easy knowing there is good demand for the car. Remember though, at the end of the day it's only worth what someone will pay for it, as pointed out by DrMark's post.

...thought, although the electric steering got a slating at first... is it now OK with the general consensus.
If it was the Turbo issue, wouldn't the early 991s still be high?
Yellow 2S at Chester £60k (the one I looked at).

Don't know how difficult it is to sell a car circa £40k, privately. I expect most buyers would want finance. Also remember, a 2 year warranty is worth £2.5 k minimum.

911_AS said:

I can think of a great many reasons, but chief amongst them is that with a few basic options a brand new 911 is an £80-90k car now just for a cooking Carrera (most S models are on or about 6 figure cars when they whip off the cover and hand them to their first owners). The increasing RRP on new models must at least be a factor in supporting the values of previous generations even before you consider that an apparently large number of 911 enthusiasts prefer the 997 aesthetically, as a driving tool and from a maintainability perspective to the later 991. :?:

Amongst enthusiasts the 997.2 was the 911 Porsche AG finally got right. Then the EU got involved with emissions laws... well it could well be the future 993.

It's a subject that'll have to be reviewed in 3 or 4 years time. For now though buyers are definitely putting their money into the reliability of the .2

I was in the Bournemouth OPC last week and there was a 2010 carrera 3.6 pdk mid 20k miles in aqua blue that they had taken in px ,I asked about it they said they could not sell it through the network as it needed a bit too much spent and a warranty so they were going to sell it to a trader they use and I nearly fell over when they said they were expecting the trader to give then 50k for it and he was going to sell it for 55k :eek: they are certainly not dropping in value and might be even going up slowly but even that seemed strong money :thumb:

I'm certainly not regretting jumping on my Gen II Turbo nearly 5 weeks ago, I'm chuffed to bits with the car as it's such a step forward from a Gen 1.
The one thing the Gen 1 turbo does have over everything else is that Mezger engine, that's whats keeping the residuals high on those ones, that and a manual box.
Considering a new Turbo is not much change out of £130k you can see why a low mileage 997 turbo is a good buy.
On top of that I know two people that have sold 991's and bought 997's, says a lot in itself.

Yep, noted last few weeks that a 09/10 plate 2S/4S with 20-25k miles sitting about £50k.

This week seen 2 at OPCs at £55k and £60k!

Think my decision to hold on to mine for next few years (have been considering selling up) at least may be the right one....!

It's an interesting discussion. Even OPC's are reaching out to owners, seeking out their 997's. Only a couple of weeks ago, I received this email.

OPC's are targeting owners of 997's. They know if they find good examples, they can clean up the car and stick it quickly on their forecourt, offering those ever tempting 2-yr Warranty and Roadside Assist.

If the buyer takes out finance through Porsche (which is highly likely), then that's an even bigger profit for the dealership. Not a bad way to make a quick £10k and change per car..

Attachments

• p911_request_185.jpeg
    p911_request_185.jpeg
    143.6 KB · Views: 7,921
911_AS said:
It's an interesting discussion. Even OPC's are reaching out to owners, seeking out their 997's. Only a couple of weeks ago, I received this email.

OPC's are targeting owners of 997's. They know if they find good examples, they can clean up the car and stick it quickly on their forecourt, offering those ever tempting 2-yr Warranty and Roadside Assist.

If the buyer takes out finance through Porsche (which is highly likely), then that's an even bigger profit for the dealership. Not a bad way to make a quick £10k and change per car..

That conversation was put directly to me as well face to face at it's annual service this year. OPC know the car & can even see on the computer it's never had 1 launch control. They wanted it and asked for first approach when I come to sell it.

The feedback they're getting is 991 owners feel encased with the center console and cockpit design. They have buyers trading in for the 997.2 as PCM and other aspects can be upgraded.

With this shift in buyers preferences it's no wonder why they're becoming so highly popular especially when low mileage examples with the 2yr warranty packages create a market.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back