Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Warranty

blackram

I am a believer in manufacturer extended warranties. I have driven Range Rovers for years for work and it is not whether your RR will break down but when...although they are brilliant cars. I have had much warranty work on turbos, failed turbo pipes, gearbox, etc and therefore have no hesitation in having their warranty. Also recently bought my youngest lad a 'young' Defender XS90 for his 21st and took a full LR warranty on that as well and a few weeks after purchase it needed a new ABS pump (£1300 plus fitting) so there's the warranty paid for in one hit - £750 per year.
Now, I am in the market for a 991.1 S and some private cars are showing outstanding OPC warranty which is fine but some dealers have non-OPC warranties - does anyone have any experience of these please? Or are they not worth the paper they are printed on?

Owning an RR will definitely make you want warranties on anything you ever buy again. Least reliable product ever made in my experience. I'm sure you probably know the shoe size of the service desk teams you've been in there so often!

Warranties for Porsches roughly fall into 3 categories as below:-

Official Porsche Warranty - same as your RR. Extendable to 15 years and can be restored if lapsed subject to a 111 point check at your OPC once you have owned the car for 3 months.

Independents that advertise in the Porsche dealers section on here - lots offer their own very well regarded warranties with them carrying out the work.

Others...basically anything from a general car dealer with the limited Insurance backed "same warranty for any car" warranty offering.

All have their place.

Getting the car independently inspected is always advised as it's much more thorough than the Porsche warranty inspection.

If it's a private sale and the car has no warranty, ask the seller to have the car 111 point inspected and an Official Porsche Warranty added. This saves the 3 month clause. If they won't allow an independent or Porsche inspection go find a different car, there are plenty out there.

If buying at an OPC you should get 2 years on top of whatever the car already has on it.

The independents advertising on here each have their own cover periods. All are very approachable.

Most OPCs are helpful if you go see the service guys and ask if a car has anything outside of the standard work. Call the ones that did the minor and major service as not all franchises share full details.

Sorry the above is a bit high level, but the question covers a lot....good luck with the search.

991.1 S cars are not that old yet but a few known minor problems include a brake peddle bush that fails resulting in excessive brake peddle travel , fuel flap mechanism that fails, and coolent solenoids that go iffy. All simple fixes under warranty and don't affect all cars.

Thanks G2 for a very comprehensive reply. As I expected but much I of which I was unaware.
The Range Rover is not the most reliable but I would not have another now. So comfortable on long drives and brilliant off-road (I work with farmers). Thanks again.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back