Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Polishing pads - what to do after use?

peterg1955

OK I know this is probably going to sound really stupid but I've never done more than a good wash and a bit of some generic 'polish' on cars previously so....

Now I've finally got a 911 (only been driving 44 years...) and acquired a DAS from a friend who no longer needs it I have started to used the proper products (Basalt Black car so I have all the Blackfire stuff that was recommended on here).

The stupid bit is I'm wondering whether the foam pads (Lake Country Mfg) should be washed/rinsed after use so the product doesn't dry out and possibly go hard making them too abrasive next time or are they OK to just reuse?

Obviously I will always use the same product on each pad regardless.

I currently only have orange and red pads (moderate and light cutting) and don't really have many scratches/swirls to deal with so these seem sufficient for now.

peterg1955 said:
OK I know this is probably going to sound really stupid but I've never done more than a good wash and a bit of some generic 'polish' on cars previously so....

Now I've finally got a 911 (only been driving 44 years...) and acquired a DAS from a friend who no longer needs it I have started to used the proper products (Basalt Black car so I have all the Blackfire stuff that was recommended on here).

The stupid bit is I'm wondering whether the foam pads (Lake Country Mfg) should be washed/rinsed after use so the product doesn't dry out and possibly go hard making them too abrasive next time or are they OK to just reuse?

Obviously I will always use the same product on each pad regardless.

I currently only have orange and red pads (moderate and light cutting) and don't really have many scratches/swirls to deal with so these seem sufficient for now.

I have used the waffle pads with the farecla cutting compound , after use I put them in separate ziplock bags after damping them with a spritz of water.all have been fine when they are brought back out. Usable and just like new ..

911TEL said:
I have used the waffle pads with the farecla cutting compound , after use I put them in separate ziplock bags after damping them with a spritz of water.all have been fine when they are brought back out. Usable and just like new ..

That sounds like a good idea, I've done similar with paintbrushes in the past but not had to decorate a house for over 10 years so forgot about that tip, thank you.

TonyC911 said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTSIf6fqVLI&t=347s

Check out the legendary Junkman for all things car detailing related! 8)

I most certainly wouldn`t leave my polishing pads out in the back garden to dry and become contaminated with grit and dust and God only knows what else :nooo:

I pop them in a pillow case and wash them, then pop said pillow case containing them in the airing cupboard to dry out over the next few days :thumb:

Using liquid detergent of course, don`t want any of the eggshell and talcum grit that is used in washing powder to destroy my paintwork :nooo:

I agree. Junkman is an excellent source of info. I use APC to get the worst off my pads first and then finish off by hand.

I always wash my pads with a detergent, allow them to dry and store them in a clear zip tie food bag.

As KJD above, Fairy Liquid is great at getting polish off the pad but rinse very well.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back