Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Horn Fault

thesmithsUK

My car's horn works fine on start-up (both tones). But two or three honks, one or both tones will disappear.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Is the fault likely to be at the horn tones (rusty contacts, maybe) or at the steering wheel?

I've replaced one of the tones on my 996 C4S before, though in that case the tone had failed completely (rather than intermittently).

Advice welcome!

I've just popped off the OS wheel arch liner to access both horns.

Cleaned both sets of spade connectors with some electrical contact cleaner.

But no difference.

I'm guessing the problem might be with the contact at the steering wheel?

So...just uncovered this behind my ATIWE 32 KBA 70111 steering wheel:

fa6HtYz.jpg

One of the three black plastic retainers is missing. Which may be the reason for the intermittent horn action. Everything else seems intact.

Does anyone know where I can source a replacement?

The wire you can see in the image then when thats connected to an earth the horn will work .. if you do that several times and the horn keeps working then it is indeed the contact ring at fault .. if not then its somewhere else .

It looks to me as if the 2 parts on that ring when pressed join together giveing the wire an earth , if so then the missing part shouldn,t effect the operation .

No idear on the part im afraid , you could try an OPC but they dont tend to be that helpfull on small items .

Typically, having just put it all back together, it works!

Let's see how long it lasts...

But many thanks for the link. Useful for future reference.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back