Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

The musings of an insane person

Here's another direction that would appear to fit the bill for the OP: 996 40th Anniversary - often considered as halfway between a 996 C2 and a GT3.

Ticks the boxes of performance (with 345bhp as quick as a 997C2S, yet less prone to bore score with X51 3.6 vs 3.8 ), retained value / appreciation potential (probably second only to a GT3 %wise) and you should be able to pick one up for your budget.

If the GT3 look of the car is important though, probably don't want to be doing too much in the way of cosmetic mods to a 40AE unless you plan on keeping it forever.

For full disclosure: Yes, I have one, and it's great :thumbs:

jerzybondov said:
Here's another direction that would appear to fit the bill for the OP: 996 40th Anniversary - often considered as halfway between a 996 C2 and a GT3.

Ticks the boxes of performance (with 345bhp as quick as a 997C2S, yet less prone to bore score with X51 3.6 vs 3.8 ), retained value / appreciation potential (probably second only to a GT3 %wise) and you should be able to pick one up for your budget.

If the GT3 look of the car is important though, probably don't want to be doing too much in the way of cosmetic mods to a 40AE unless you plan on keeping it forever.

For full disclosure: Yes, I have one, and it's great :thumbs:

Better off just getting an X51 996 then you don't have to worry about messing with it and losing value plus it would be cheaper to buy in the first place

Have to agree, if you can find a C2 manual X51 3.6 it will be the closest you'll get for your money if you want the next best thing to a GT3 without the price tag and are looking for a little more performance over a regular Carrera.

It's 254kW - approx 340bhp or 345PS (metric hp) - not a million miles away (11kW/15hp approx) from the original GT3 from what I can gather.

X51 gives a useful 25hp increase but with better cooling (3rd radiator), improved lubrication (redesigned sump) better suited to a performance project and probably a little more reliable as a result.

X74 suspension is the closest chassis wise you'll get as well without going aftermarket too, approx -30mm ride height, much stiffer springs/ARBs and firmer dampers with a little more aggressive geo setup (camber).

I quite like the Anniversary model although not 100% on the C4S/Turbo front bumper on the narrow body cars. Would be a shame to modify one though as said already.

I am biased having just jumped into one myself, but I would go for the lowest mileage, highest spec, best colour combo C4S that my budget would allow and keep it fairly standard.

For that sort of money you mention, you would probably get a nicely refurbished and detailed example from an enthusiast or dealer.

As others have pointed out, an inspection or reliable source of supply such as Hartech would be sensible.

I was always brought up on low miles, colour and service history.

If budget would stretch I suppose a 996 Turbo may tick the box for you?

IMO a nice straight low miles C4S would carry more merits long term than a non-factory/project car based on a 'worse' initial example.

:thumbs:

wasz said:
I don't get the "GT3 look" business.

For me if it looks like a GT3 with aerokit and wing, it has to at least handle like one.

Not just a lowered Carrera dressed up.

Agreed

C4-STORM said:
I am biased having just jumped into one myself, but I would go for the lowest mileage, highest spec, best colour combo C4S that my budget would allow and keep it fairly standard.

For that sort of money you mention, you would probably get a nicely refurbished and detailed example from an enthusiast or dealer.

As others have pointed out, an inspection or reliable source of supply such as Hartech would be sensible.

IMO a nice straight low miles C4S would carry more merits long term than a non-factory/project car based on a 'worse' initial example.

As I've said earlier +1 for this sensible post.

Always remember 'project' cars are Hybrids and only appeal to the man that's creating them. I went to look at a very well put together Gen II Turbo in April, had loads of money spent on it and I mean over 40k but it still wouldn't sell because it wasn't original. Ended up getting put back to std then sold.

easternjets said:
C4-STORM said:

As I've said earlier +1 for this sensible post.

Always remember 'project' cars are Hybrids and only appeal to the man that's creating them. I went to look at a very well put together Gen II Turbo in April, had loads of money spent on it and I mean over 40k but it still wouldn't sell because it wasn't original. Ended up getting put back to std then sold.

Crazy!!

I think that's the way to look at it in terms of modifications though, change it but change it so it's relatively easy to return to standard. You can then sell the car and sell on the bits as well albeit at a loss from buying them new.
Means you can have your car but then return it to STD if you want to sell.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jons123
Back