Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Newbie wanting a 997

Welcome to the forum.. :thumbs:

I was in your shoes a year ago, coming up from a Boxster and a life long Porsche fan. with a 25k budget it...

My research went like this.

1. Dont freak out over Borescoring. get it PPI'd and scoped and afterall it can be fixed.

2. Prices are spread wide. Spec does play a role here.

3. buy on Condition Condition condition.

The result:

1. OMO theres actually a sweet spot for a 997.1 3.8S.. thats a very late 2005 car! i brought a late November car. So its cheaper road tax. Engine numbers suggested it had the bigger none up gradable bearing. This was confirmed when the clutch was done and a photo taken to prove.. by ME this summer.

2. Condition is a super big deal !!! not just big ticket items but cosmetic too..

Keys are £250 each and break.
The climate control Buttons can be a mess (tricky fix)
body work also... many cars had bare metal on the lower front wheel arches

Full service history is a must and yes you want big items done at this age. someone always has to pay to maintain these cars.. dont pick one someone has being running away from big bills..

For example mine came with:

Brand new tyres x 4 (Michelins)
Tandem pump
Alternator
AC condensor rads x 2

all in the last 1k miles before i bought it.

3. Im sorry but im my opinion spec effects price as much as condition

Mine has:

Sports chrono plus
PSE
Hard back sports seats
Black dials
PCCB brakes!
Wheels painted in body colour (two Tone)

plus many other items...

What i am saying is i looked a lots and spec ranged from nothing to everything and until you compare the two its only then you will be comfortable spending more on a well spec'd car.

Hows it going:

1. Learnt from Boxster ownership theres no such thing as a cheap Porsche.

Ive spent £4k this year on: ( i know about say £2k from the PPI)

Clutch & Fly wheel and IMS seal (engine had to come out to do Coolant pipe so i recycled labour here)
All coolant pipes ( rotten and spotted on PPI)
Major Service , Plugs, Transmission and brake fluid changes, poly belt
plus some other odds and sods. mainly fix the PSE.

Basically i will be honest i chose to invest in a the car with this maintenance.

The summary:

I LOVE IT SO MUCH its a dream car for me and a passion realised..

I got lucky and brought a late 2005 997.1 C2S privately had it PPI'd dodged the increased Road tax and got a car thats identical to a 2007 car. with 59k on the clock for £21k and banked the dealer premium as the maintenance fund.

I drove to Manchester from London the day the advert came out i just knew and i looked at lots physical and dismissed 100's on the web. Get to a car show to get up close and personal.

being honest with the investment i made in the car its worth £25k all day long with 65k on the clock now, because of the PCCB and spec the Insurance company agreed value at £28k

So get one, do your research, don't be scared, its worth it.

A

Welcome - Phil997 and the others have said it all. I recently bought a November 2005 997.1 C4S manual after having had an E46 M3 SMG, 996.1 C4 manual then an E92 M3 manual and it is definitely all I expected.

Follow the guidance and good luck with your search :thumb:

ragpicker said:
Fabulous cars!

only one bit of advice matters: Get a borescope on any car before you buy it!

Here endeth the lesson...

:thumb:

And a full inspection
Make no mistake - had mine around three years / second owner
None of the two issues that some thrive on !

Once the one you own is up your drive I bet you will enjoy even just gazing

:thumb: :bandit:

Overpriced & ignore

Honestly if thats what they are looking for its dream time.

Picked mine up 3 years ago / i owner £29600 - 33,000 miles
Full POC

Bide your time :thumb: :bandit:

Wow, thank you guys for the massive response!

A lot of insight provided!

My misconception has always been to stay away from cars that have had engine rebuilds thinking that they have been "thrashed". But I think its good option having a fresh engine!

I came across Hartech while doing some searches so will also look out for other reputable garages.

Having said above I'll definitely invest in a PPI on the car I go for.

I'm noticing that Basalt Black cars go for much more than other colors... I would like to get this color but its not a biggy.

Regarding the Bose system I sat in a Gen2 Cs2 and was messing around with the stereo and it sounded awesome - it was amazing. Do the Gen 1 cars and Gen 2 cars share the same Bose set up?

The post around the C4s has got me thinking.. I need to get behind both a C2s and C4s as I havn't driven one yet. :eek: :oops:

Is there a post that details all the options that were available for the 997s? Am i right to think that ALL gen1 cars have satnav?

thanks guys!

:worship: :worship:

The SatNav is useless. I used it once. It said I would get where I was going at 10.30am. Google Nav said 11.24. Google was right. Simply because of lack of real time traffic data. The interface is awful as well. Simply fixed by changing the PCM2.1 to something modern which has android auto/apple carplay. Also then adds ipod and phone support. Mine has 2 USB ports so have Ipod and Phone cables. The PCM2.1 with a dension or similar for an ipod connection is still awful to use!

So, Gen 1 stereo system. The speakers are pretty good, but underpowered. doing the above helps with that, but Bose only adds a subwoofer and doesn't really make much difference. The small subs in the front doors sound really pretty good when powered properly, so don't get hung up on a bose car, really doesn't make much difference!

Go and drive some :)

No, they don't all have satnav.

I bought mine because it had the important (to me) spec; PSE, sports seats, chrono, but not the tech so no satnav, cd player.

It's basalt black too and I'm not sure the colour shows the car off like some of the lighter shades.

How are you getting on with your search? Am in the same boat but was just planning on going RSJ and purchashing one from there....

jags320i said:
Hi all,

Just registered to the forum - so be easy with me! :)

I currently own a E46 M3 SMG which I have owned for around 10 yrs. Cant fault the car in any way or form. High spec car with 1 previous owner with full dealer service history, completely unmolested.

As you could appreciate it the M3 has been true and reliable to me however it has come to that stage that I am now bored of the car and looking to purchase a 997.

My budget is around 25k max and looking to get a gen1 C2s (or C4s if I'm lucky).

What I would like is a manual (change from the SMG), Bose sound system with sub 70k miles on it.

I'm bit nervous in selling the M3 and making the jump to a 997. I have researched that the Gen1 had issues with the IMS especially with the early "S" (3.8ltr) cars and also having issues with the bore scoring.

My question is how common are the above faults and will 25k get you a nice 997?

Should i be going for a trip over a manual and/or should i save up the pennies and go for a gen2 to avoid future issues with the IMS and bore scoring?

So many questions are running through my head but looking for some honest/experienced answers!

thanks in advance!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back