Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Expansion tank leakage

markrnorton

Well it had to happen at some point, I got stuck in a 2 hour traffic jam in the heat last week. being smug stating the car was behaving normally with the temps.
next day, puddle of water on the floor in the garage. boot carpet up and sure enough wet on the right hand side under the expansion tank.

the last tank I replaced was on a cayenne a few years back, that was £100 and a few hours work.

I was surprised with the boxster, £239 for a new tank, and I've yet to fit it.

Looks a bit fiddly with some of the connections on the other side of the bulkhead

any personal experience tips from anyone ?

Yea .. dont do it and get a garage to do it .. and it had better not be mine !

Its a Bitch .. ill re phrase that ..

Its a Bitch .

When these cars were newer it wasnt too bad but as they have been played with over the years then often the pipe clips are not in the right position ...

hence its a Bitch .

How i would approach it ( appart from going sick ) ..

Undo the 10 mm nuts , gently try to pull the tank into the boot compartment , i use a brake caliper piston spreading tool to try and hold it far enough into the boot so that you have access to the pipe clips .

If you can get at the pipe clips then its a matter of moveing them back far enough so the pipes pull off .. lol pull off .. yea 15 year old pipes that have never been removed just pull off .. sorry , i had to say that :)

If not then you have to work from up top so roof in service position , engine panel off and you are working by touch and a mirror on a stick to try and get to the pipe clamps .. you cant get at them from under the car .

Some tools you will need ..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/2631...=9041127&device=c&campaignid=861899693&crdt=0

Something like that if you can do it from the boot ..

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/fle...MIv8iFudT_1QIVzb3tCh3MnQzBEAQYAiABEgI2qfD_BwE

Something like this if you cant.

My suggestion would be to pull the tank back and have a look .. you may be lucky and have good access to the pipes and it will be straight forward but if not refit it and take it to a poor garage to do .. a guess would be 1.5 hours .

You may be lucky but the ones i have done recently have all been pretty dam hard due to the clips in the wrong positions so that i just cant get to them .

Thanks for the help

I'll be attempting this tomorrow and report back on the job from hell

I wish you all the very best and fingers crossed you will have an untouched easyish job .. just make sure you have nothing heavy to hand if it isnt an easyish job .. body repairs aint cheap ;)

Let me know how you get on though please .

Ok, an hour and a half to remove the old tank.

I'd say impossible to release the hoses from the engine bay

I pulled the assembly through and managed to release the clamps but it required a subtle blend of skill and extreme violence!

I cut through the old tank in two places , removed it and it gave more purchase and space to release the pipe clamps

Need to fit the need one now

Done, so probably three hours all up
Just warming the car up to double check

Not an easy job unless you are reasonably competent and even then it's a pain

Glad you got it sorted, sounded like an absolute mare of a job!

Any pics of what you did?

Cheers.

Thats good going young man .. you obviously know your way around a car :)

It can be done from the eigine side as the last time i had to due to a wrongly fitted clip .. mare of a job .

Theres not a person at work that likes these either !

No pics, sorry

Yes, not the best Porsche design considering they make some repairs and maintenance child's play

Full test tomorrow but all looks good

At least the tank is now white and not faided cream colour

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back