Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 GT2RS Build... (Update - Dec 2022)

Isys, I love this pic of the rear end the GT2 rear bumper with the vents just looks so bad ass mate :thumb:

Attachments

• 36730107342_7102e1a85f_z_184.jpg
    36730107342_7102e1a85f_z_184.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 8,002
J Holmes said:
Shame to drill into that nice new bumper for a standard plinth. How about fitting a short plate in the front intake? Or maybe cutting down one of those mounts that screw into the the tow hook socket?

I thought about doing this initially. I'm not drilling the bumper either way. I've ordered a legal stick on plate but it's not here yet so I'm waiting to see how long it will be. He said they make them as small as legally possible based on the registration.

isysman said:
J Holmes said:
Shame to drill into that nice new bumper for a standard plinth. How about fitting a short plate in the front intake? Or maybe cutting down one of those mounts that screw into the the tow hook socket?

I thought about doing this initially. I'm not drilling the bumper either way. I've ordered a legal stick on plate but it's not here yet so I'm waiting to see how long it will be. He said they make them as small as legally possible based on the registration.

Do they not do a magnetic number plate that you could just slap on the bonnet at times when you need one and keep inside the car the rest of the time.

Great updates.

After following this thread from the start I wonder how much diffence there is between your "ultimate upgrade" and the "real thing?"

I know you said that few people have mentioned about cost and why didn't you just buy...etc..etc...IMO your car would look like a bargain at 130k and with the attention to detail, I don't think anyone other than a Porsche tech looking under a ramp could tell the difference. The man maths defiantly stacks up and you have the car of your dreams for a fraction of the cost.

It would be really interesting to do a "back to back" comparison.

Well done and enjoy! :worship:

Phil 997 said:
Isys, I love this pic of the rear end the GT2 rear bumper with the vents just looks so bad ass mate :thumb:

Yeah it's one of my favourites too! It wasn't planned either I just found myself inside that space and looked at the car and thought it looked great.

jotaking said:
Great updates.

After following this thread from the start I wonder how much diffence there is between your "ultimate upgrade" and the "real thing?"

I know you said that few people have mentioned about cost and why didn't you just buy...etc..etc...IMO your car would look like a bargain at 130k and with the attention to detail, I don't think anyone other than a Porsche tech looking under a ramp could tell the difference. The man maths defiantly stacks up and you have the car of your dreams for a fraction of the cost.

It would be really interesting to do a "back to back" comparison.

Well done and enjoy! :worship:

There is a guy at SuperCar Driver car club who has a GT2RS looks like mine but has the gold wheels. I'm hoping to get the opportunity to put my car side by side in the future.

[quote="Phil 997"
Do they not do a magnetic number plate that you could just slap on the bonnet at times when you need one and keep inside the car the rest of the time.[/quote]
Nice idea Phil, but not going to work with CF or PU.

Original plate on dash till replacement comes seems only option. 😕

The 997 has an aluminium bonnet and my car has a carbon one. This plate is a new private plate so I don't have an acrylic one. The new stick on arrived today. It's massive (in comparison).

I fitted a Zunsport grill to centre. Then used strong "gorilla" double sided tape to affix . Never came off.

Bumper undrlled and paint looked great. Plate never came off .
The 4s didn't have a centre radiator, so no cooling issues.

I will find an alternative photo hosting app, and load a photo :thumb:

https://imgur.com/gallery/q0r6c

Today I had the pleasure of seeing this car with my own eyes. We spent several hours discussing it on and off today at Oulton Park. We've all read the thread and marvelled at the detail that esysman has gone to in creating this car, but it's not until you spend time discussing a topic like this that you get to understand passion that drives it.
The level of detail that has gone into this thing is mind boggling. I had the pleasure of a blast around some of the roads around Oulton and it's a quick car. It's been a while since I ive needed to reach for the dash.The suspension set up is spot on for the road. I could wax lyrical about it all day long.
It would take a keen eye to know it wasn't the real deal. 10/10
Not to mention a top bloke. Thanks for a great day and sharing the car!

Phase 11/12 (late write up for posted videos)

As I get closer to completion of this project (if I ever do finish) the type of jobs I'm doing get more and more about the fine details. It's always been about the details but now I'm getting down to smaller things.

There is however one more big job to complete – the suspension upgrade. I ordered the TechArt Coilover kit plus front Axle lift. I placed the order two months ahead of the date I'd set to get it all installed to make sure the parts arrived. However dispite this and despite TechArt informing Tech9 in Hale Village the package was ready to ship. However two working days before my car was due to go in, they contacted Phil at Tech9 to say the package would now take a further two months to ship.

Meanwhile I was getting on with other jobs. My carbon bucket seats which I was never fully happy with as the leather was worn and tired looking had to be removed from the car. This is because I spoke to Linas at DesignLS and explained I wanted a custom re-trim carried out to bring them up to standard with the rest of the interior which looks new. I arranged to have the seats sent down from Cheshire to his workshop in near Heathrow Airport. The finished seats are fantastic, I was blown away by the quality of the finish.

Also I had ordered two new stickers for the car. The stickers which show the tyre info and VIN number for the driver's door frame needed to be updated as they have different graphics and one sticker was absent from my car. To purchase from Porsche costs £200 EACH! And they can take up to 6 weeks to have them made. Also they would show the wrong info as my car has the RS wheels with different width tyres etc. This items arrived and looked great. The only issue I had is one of the stickers was slightly smaller than OEM, but I can live with that. Stickers were pretty straight forward to fit (even I can do it!)

As I was preparing for a road trip I wanted to get the fresh paint on the car protected. Initially I was told the paint needed to cure for about 3 month before I could wrap it with PPF, so I left the car in my garage after the last bit of painting was done (roof). Once home form my 6 month stint at sea I was able to get this done.

I arranged to take the car to Reep NorthWest to have a paint correction and PPF bra fitted. The correction wasn't really required because the paint was almost flawless already but it had picked up a couple of scuffs and one rear quarter didn't have any fresh paint so had swirl marks still on it. I arranged with Reep to take my car and on the day drove down to the premises in Deeside. However it turns out I had actually been talking to Reep Yorkshire! I checked my emails and I saw I had neglected to even mention that I wanted to take the car to the NorthWest unit (20 minutes from my house). By this time I had no way to re-organise so I had to drive the two hour trip to North Yorkshire. Frustrating! Also meant that I'd have to return home that evening and drive back up three days later to collect the car. Not a big drama but annoying when you weren't expecting it. The guys at Reep were excellent, very accommodating and helpful allowing me to film and to dictate the first day somewhat so I could film it. I opted for a clear front bra, which covers the front wings, bonnet, mirrors, A-pillars and front of the roof. I may however get more fitted as I don't like the way you can see the line on the roof, so maybe in future this will change.

PPF going on after paint correction

For the suspension I had to scramble to try to find a solution. I was told the lift kit was ready but the coilovers were not. As it's all made by Bilstein to TechArts specifications I decided I'd just purchase the B16 Damptronics kit and fit the Axle lift. However this also seemed to be a problem as I found out when I contacted Bilstein UK. The B16 kit had been on backorder for 8 months.
I decided to look at other manufacturers for a solution. I really wanted the lift kit but I was told that I might not necessarily need it if the coilovers were set just right. Another of Tech9's customers has a 997 GT2 and he had coilovers fitted with no lift kit and he seemed to be happy. "Just view your front lip spoiler as a disposable item that can be replaced every 18 months or so" I was told. In the end I went with the Ohlins as after reading many, many forum posts I realised I couldn't find a single negative review of their equipment. As opposed to the Bilstein which I had read quite a number of negative (as well as many positive). The great thing was that as well as the reviews the equipment would actually be quite a bit less expensive than the £7k I had spent on the TechArt kit which never arrived.
Suspension arrived quickly however another issue. The Ohlins comes with a PASM cancellation kit which tells the car to not throw up a fault when you press the PASM button. However Ohlins said it was on back order and wouldn't be ready for 1 month. I was due to leave for a trip to Monaco in a few days, so some more research and we decided to try to pull the PASM fuse and deactivate it in PIWIS - it worked! So if you are buying this kit and your car has PASM, don't spend £400 on a PASM cancel kit, just follow this instruction. 
The car looks amazing and it feels the last part of the puzzle has been inserted. The car feels finished to me now. I will add more parts such as a roll cage but mostly just little things now. In the next article, I'll talk about how the car drives now it's complete. It's quite a contrast!

Links
Reep Group http://www.reepgroup.co.uk (make sure to arrange with local people!)
Tech 9 http://www.tech9.ms
Stickers http://car-bone.pl (can have them made to exact spec)
Suspension https://www.ohlins.com

Seats finally back in the car. Look amazing

New stickers are excellent quality (will be interesting to see how long they last getting washed etc.)

Finished detailing

Suspension all finished ready for my road trip!

Not sure what I like more, the interior or exterior... congratulations on nearly finishing it.

Absolutely astonishing level of commitment gone into this car. One of the most incredible builds I've ever seen. Love it.

isysman said:
Forgot to add this photo of my Kline Inconel tailpipes. Love them!

Do the Kline Tips just bolt onto the Standard GT2 Exhaust Tips please ?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back