Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

PSE Problem

paulstevens64

Silverstone
Hi All

My PSE which has work faultlessly for the last three years, has just developed a fault.

It is in "quiet mode! as a default (as opposed to "Sports Mode") and the switch does not have any effect. It stays in "quiet Mode". The switch appears to work (e.g. the light comes on).

I recently had some work done on RMS etc, so the garage had the gearbox out of the car. The PSE was working when it went in.

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to what may have gone wrong? Is there a wire that may have been dislodged? ID there a rely that may have blown?

Thanks

I can't tell what the fault is, but I can explain how the system works to possibly help in diagnosing it. The two silences have bypass valves on them which are operated by vacuum operated actuators. The default position of these is open (loud). When a vacuum is applied to these they close and the system goes quiet. A small vacuum reservoir is attached to the inlet manifold through a one-way valve. When the PSE switch is activated a solenoid is activated and the vacuum is applied to the actuators which closes them and makes the system quiet.
From your description it sounds like the vacuum is being applied all the time, this doesn't sound like something has been disconnected at the engine end as a lack of vacuum or a lack of signal to the solenoid would leave it in loud mode all of the time. All of the rest of the gubbins for the PSE are in the fuse box at the driver's side footwell so unlikely to be affected. If it was always loud I would be looking at vacuum pipes and wiring to the solenoid, but always quiet is more of a mystery.

MC

Thanks MisterCorn,

I will keep searching. I was hoping to point my garage in the right direction.

Paul

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monkey
Back