Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

What did you buy your 993 this week ?

Bits back from powder coating and rad cowl fitted.

Attachments

• ac_rad_127.jpg
    ac_rad_127.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 4,629
New fuel filler cap. Rubber washer had perished and the cap itself was knackered.

The big 24k mile service completed with a brake fluid change and gearbox oil change. All carried out by my trusted indie Zentrum Porsche in Calverton near Nottingham.

Very impressed once again with their attention to detail, my brake hubs were looking a bit scruffy so they repainted them. The small Porsche crest from the key was missing so they replaced it. As always a full video record of the inspection recorded and any issues shown as part of the collection debrief.

First class service all done within the quoted price, highly recommended.
:D

Fitted a new vacuum unit as the original was not correctly installed. Also replaced the vacuum pipe and the 2 elbows plus a couple of new bolts.
Full tank of petrol and a good drive around some Hampshire Roads. I am convinced the car is more responsive.

Just working up to having my already in stock Fsd shocks fitted.

Fitted a new vacuum unit as the original was not correctly installed. Also replaced the vacuum pipe and the 2 elbows plus a couple of new bolts.
Full tank of petrol and a good drive around some Hampshire Roads. I am convinced the car is more responsive.

Just working up to having my already in stock Fsd shocks fitted.

I got both front and rear windscreens re-installed by Paul at Glasstech. Creaking has vanished, and hopefully he stopped some surface rust which was appearing behind the trim. A really thorough job.

Two of these waffle drying towels:
http://www.carparts4less.co.uk/cp4l...IOMkr8wJ8-HrI2ONvrQjnt9TELvYMogEaAkimEALw_wcB

Work really well - just using the 'blot dry technique' . Bargain at £3.96 each delivered.

AND my first experiment with a quick detailer:
https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/so...-detailer-691-with-code-carparts4less-2755845

That's about half the price at most detailing product websites - looks as if carparts4less are getting in this sector of the market.

Fabulous results on my big black daily - gave it the real glossy wet look. So just applied to the 993 too.

A few things recently ..

Brake Pressure Switch - due to failure

Rubber fan shroud duct - due to disintegrating

Heater fan resistor - preventative maintenance

HVAC Engine compartment vacuum unit - due to failure

One of the best and simplest mods, a 1" spacer for my 968CS steering wheel. Already have an offset spacer so plenty of knee room and a more relaxed driving position. From FVD quite expensive for what it is but well worth it.

Attachments

• offset_490.jpg
    offset_490.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 3,901
  • fvd_spacer_169.jpg
    fvd_spacer_169.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 3,901
Sebro discs and Textar pads for the rear. £167.98 with discount from ECP, which I thought was pretty good.

I'm going to have a go at fitting them myself, which might be a big mistake but I'm hoping it's just within my capabilities. We shall see! (update: I'm ashamed to say that even this simple job wasn't within my capabilities. It all looked so straightforward in the videos! :sad: :sad:)

Does anyone know what size the hex-bolt is that holds the calipers on?

madge said:
Sebro discs and Textar pads for the rear. £167.98 with discount from ECP, which I thought was pretty good.

I'm going to have a go at fitting them myself, which might be a big mistake but I'm hoping it's just within my capabilities. We shall see!

Does anyone know what size the hex-bolt is that holds the calipers on?

16mm socket required

Trev

I believe you need a 10mm hex key socket to remove the calliper mounting bolts. (also called six point hex socket key)

Given the torque involved, I suggest it is mounted in a 1/2" drive socket. There is too much flex using 3/8" drive.

Whilst they need to be tightened to 85Nm (62ftlb) there can be corrosion between the calliper and the bolt if which necessitates even more effort to undo.

I will normally use an 18" breaker bar to "crack" the bolt off.

Kat1 said:
I believe you need a 10mm hex key socket to remove the calliper mounting bolts. (also called six point hex socket key)

Given the torque involved, I suggest it is mounted in a 1/2" drive socket. There is too much flex using 3/8" drive.

Whilst they need to be tightened to 85Nm (62ftlb) there can be corrosion between the calliper and the bolt if which necessitates even more effort to undo.

I will normally use an 18" breaker bar to "crack" the bolt off.

No, these bolts simply hold the caliper assembly together and are not used to mount the caliper to the hub, which I think is what OP was asking?.

Trev

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back