Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Oil Change query...... strange... !!!!!

When you refill with 7 ltrs then that oil is cold .. it will expand when its hot so a cold reading will end up over filling it .

You dont need to remove what you have put in .. i assume you have put 7 ltrs in so thats fine .. you now need to run it up to operateing temp , oil needs to be 90 degrees so just start the car up and leave to idle for about 20 mins.

Then turn the engine off and turn the ignition on .. if it says 10 mins then start the car and run it for another 5 mins.

Engine off then igntion on .. it should by now say 5 mins .

Turn off the ignition and wait 5 mins then turn on the igntion .. it will count down from 6 seconds and then give you the lvl the oil is at.

Turn off ignition and fill approx 0.4 for each segment .. do this in stages .. ignition on and a 6 second count down and it will then show you the new lvl .

Remember although each segment is 0.4 ltrs approx it may only be down 0.1 of a ltr .. it wont trip the next segment untill its exactly there so it can be anywhere from 0.4 to 0.1 down .

I put between 7 and 7.5 in but to be safe then stick with 7 ltrs in and run up each time .. reason being its better to be under filled than it is over filled.

Dont panic if it does go over filled .. you can start again .. although wait till it cools down but in reality 0.4 over filled wont do any damage .

Always do this on a lvl surface.

Oh and yes i know some of you do a cold check but you have worked out the correct lvl .. this way is how i would do it and probably the best for someone doing this the first time .

EDIT

Pm,ed you my number just in case you need it :)

Demort said:
When you refill with 7 ltrs then that oil is cold .. it will expand when its hot so a cold reading will end up over filling it .

You dont need to remove what you have put in .. i assume you have put 7 ltrs in so thats fine .. you now need to run it up to operateing temp , oil needs to be 90 degrees so just start the car up and leave to idle for about 20 mins.

Then turn the engine off and turn the ignition on .. if it says 10 mins then start the car and run it for another 5 mins.

Turn off the ignition and wait 5 mins then turn on the igntion .. it will count down from 6 seconds and then give you the lvl the oil is at.

Turn off ignition and fill approx 0.4 for each segment .. do this in stages .. ignition on and a 6 second count down and it will then show you the new lvl .

Remember although each segment is 0.4 ltrs approx it may only be down 0.1 of a ltr .. it wont trip the next segment untill its exactly there so it can be anywhere from 0.4 to 0.1 down .

I put between 7 and 7.5 in but to be safe then stick with 7 ltrs in and run up each time .. reason being its better to be under filled than it is over filled.

Dont panic if it does go over filled .. you can start again .. although wait till it cools down but in reality 0.4 over filled wont do any damage .

Oh and yes i know some of you do a cold check but you have worked out the correct lvl .. this way is how i would do it and probably the best for someone doing this the first time .

EDIT

Cheers Demort, appreciate the info, and PM received and replied :thumb:

Cheers

J

Demort said:

EDIT

Very impressive level of commitment to this forum Demort - hats off to you...
I will be doing mine soon so very useful for me also.

Those of you that carry out the oil change yourself, is this generally the 'interim' change that some people do between scheduled services? I ask as it would mean no stamp in your service book if all oil changes are completed at home!

Hi demort, carried out your instructions regards to the oil level, and I have to say.. you've done it again mate, spot on and all levels are where they should be !!!

Thank you so much, well happy, my first oil change and confident, as an ex BMW technician those cars were simple as but with Porsche seemed little reluctant.. but all done, now 1000 miles to go until the next oil change then Millers oil will go in the engine!!

Cheers again.....

J

-- 997 -- said:
Hi demort, carried out your instructions regards to the oil level, and I have to say.. you've done it again mate, spot on and all levels are where they should be !!!

Thank you so much, well happy, my first oil change and confident, as an ex BMW technician those cars were simple as but with Porsche seemed little reluctant.. but all done, now 1000 miles to go until the next oil change then Millers oil will go in the engine!!

Cheers again.....

J

That's a great result J and a useful thread on the forum as there are differences when changing oil on gen1 and gen2 cars. :thumb:

Ex BMW tech ? you didnt mention that you old dog .. we are cut from the same cloth then :thumb: .

As with any car theres a technic .. its just knowing it is all .

Gen 2 and i would say drain for 1 hour .. you need to leave it untill the trickle turns into a drip before continuing .

First time i ever did one and left it for 15 - 20 mins .. it only took 6.5 ltrs .. i had to start again .. these days we start them draining then do the service to give them enough time .

Demort said:
Ex BMW tech ? you didnt mention that you old dog .. we are cut from the same cloth then :thumb: .

As with any car theres a technic .. its just knowing it is all .

Gen 2 and i would say drain for 1 hour .. you need to leave it untill the trickle turns into a drip before continuing .

First time i ever did one and left it for 15 - 20 mins .. it only took 6.5 ltrs .. i had to start again .. these days we start them draining then do the service to give them enough time .

Cheers Phil !! Definitely a useful thread !!! :thumb: There's always a technic for sure, with gen2 cars I'd thought it would be the same, what I did notice unless I'm wrong is that the oil filter is in the engine bay? Makes it much easier I guess..

I was a BMW for 15 years and trained in my early days in Munich... fun days :grin:
then worked for Alpina, race prepping engines... have experienced some of the fastest motors built by BMW which was an honour...

all good stuff
:thumb:

J

Bring back the dipstick :x

Scholester said:
Those of you that carry out the oil change yourself, is this generally the 'interim' change that some people do between scheduled services? I ask as it would mean no stamp in your service book if all oil changes are completed at home!

Yeah I think most people that like to do a oil change in the year between services just do it for their own peace of mind. I do it myself in December usually.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back