Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

9700 mile manual 993 C2S

Personally, if I was going to spend that sort of dosh on a vintage Porsche, it would be for the following reasons:

A/ I have deep pockets
B/ I am an enthusiast
C/ A + B = I can afford an 'as new' 993 resplendent with that new Porsche smell.
D/ I drive it just like a normal car and enjoy every second.
E/ Because of A/ I can keep it tip-top forever!
F/ I couldn't care less about the thing depreciating as I'm having too much fun with my new 993
:grin:

I could well have got this wrong but I reckon 9,700 miles would equate to roughly 30 tanks of fuel, or a full tank every 8 months over 20 years? So, unless the owner is doing something elaborate with charging and discharging the tank, it's been driven on an average of 4 month old fuel for 20 years or so? That just can't be good for the engine, injectors, fuel lines etc. can it?

We sold our last Carrera 'S' back in 2003 with 10K miles on it and even then we started to feel a little guilty about using the car as it was such a low mileage example - in 2017 I can imagine this feeling would be unbearable - I for one couldn't enjoy this car (assuming I had the money to buy it in the first instance). I think you would be much better with something around 50/60K miles because I don't know where you go with this one!

Porsche News said:
add that the stigma moving to 5 digit's on the odometer i.e. 10k is probably the same as moving to 6 digits and 100k

:hand: secondhand speedos (not Madalaa's trunks) regularly come up on eBay for c£250

MattyR said:
Personally, if I was going to spend that sort of dosh on a vintage Porsche, it would be for the following reasons:

A/ I have deep pockets
B/ I am an enthusiast
C/ A + B = I can afford an 'as new' 993 resplendent with that new Porsche smell.
D/ I drive it just like a normal car and enjoy every second.
E/ Because of A/ I can keep it tip-top forever!
F/ I couldn't care less about the thing depreciating as I'm having too much fun with my new 993

Exactly this. I'd drive it lots and not care that it may be worth less money. And I'd rather have this over a Turbo.

Low mileage

Pointless buying a low mileage car and not using it, however it happens all the time now. In 2006 we bought a 1987 Mercedes 300SL ( R107) with 7003 miles for £22k, my first foray into classics, after 11 years the mileage is still relatively low at 25,000 and its value has rocketed. A 20,000 mile example has just sold at a dealer for close to £67k. We never bought it as an investment but it nice to know that if we ever sold it's value has increased significantly.

Low mileage

As a consequence of getting a low mileage car the benefits are reflected in firstly the condition, the bodywork will need no attention, secondly the interior should be un-marked, thirdly as long as servicing has taken place you can rest assurred reliability is, well almost guaranteed.
Later purchases of mine after the R107 and with the lowest mileage in my price range, came in the form of a 1966 Mercedes saloon (W108) with 35,000 miles, bought in 2008 and sold this year with 43,000 miles and I almost doubled my outlay. In 2010 another low mileage car, a 1987 Mercedes 420SE with 35,000 miles and presently this car has only done 47,000 miles and is not getting enough use now, its value has increased to the point that I may sell.
My 993 with 57,000 miles, a high miler by my past buying history came at a decent price and was the colour I really preferred, I could have afforded a little more but would I have got a better car?

Zingari is in a constant state of denial, its a perfecting normal self defense mechanism when one has missed the boat on so many levels

Actually I think he has done quite well on his 964 Celebration ...... a shrewd buy ...... :)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back