Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

100K miles. Is yours above or below?

My Targa is on 115k miles now, I bought it when it was 9 years old with 41k miles on it and intended to keep the miles low, it is still only a weekend car for fun times and never does the commute but I have still managed 74k miles in nearly 7 years.

Its when I started driving more and more to the mainland in it I got addicted to how it drives and I've probably done more miles abroad than in the UK, I do really enjoy putting miles on it.
Yes its had a few engine rebuilds and a couple of gearbox rebuilds but the amount of fun I get from this car is priceless. I still wonder what other car I could use in the same way for the overall cost.

demon said:
I happened to glance down and notice my car tick over 222,000 at the weekend
- I don't intend to pay much attention to that corner of the dash until I get a chance to take a pic at 250,000

....oh, and I have absolutely zero intention to (ever) sell my car........

It's a proper Porsche then.
:thumbs:

Test drove a barely run in 50k 996 today... Lovely car, sleeping on it... :sleepy:

just gone over 100390 and still as good as the day it was built regular maintenance and a few consumables but what a car brought it with 82000 on it drove through europe , drive it to work , and lots of spirited weekend runs
oil and filter evey 5000 and thats what i do and nothing better than a original targa best of both

Attachments

• 911_577.jpg
    911_577.jpg
    575 KB · Views: 3,796
68k here on my 02 Turbo
I plan to increase that somewhat :thumb:

Junky said:
Well I'll be....
It's finally surfaced..
Yes,this is / was mine..
:D :D

Not many red ones about
detective.gif

Next time you drive past mine (B660) do give me a shout :thumb:

243k .. 964 NO oil leaks and NO problems in four years, drive it fast every day .... still solid .. just clicked over 243k today , still pulls exactly the same as it did at 150k when i got it 4 years ago.

KP964 said:
243k .. 964 NO oil leaks and NO problems in four years, drive it fast every day .... still solid .. just clicked over 243k today , still pulls exactly the same as it did at 150k when i got it 4 years ago.

I'd be very pleased to be adding that sort of post to this thread in 20 years time!!! :D

Sad to say 10 year old 997, only have just over 15 k on it....shame on me. :x

HSC911 said:
Junky said:
Well I'll be....
It's finally surfaced..
Yes,this is / was mine..
:D :D

Not many red ones about
detective.gif

Next time you drive past mine (B660) do give me a shout :thumb:

I'll pm you

Steve Gom said:
KP964 said:

I'd be very pleased to be adding that sort of post to this thread in 20 years time!!! :D

By which time yours (and my) car(s) will be worthless! The plans are already revealed to ban the sale of new internal combustion engines by 2040. I read in Autocar ( I think it was - one of the motoring press), that the Government are preparing a paper to ban the USE of Internal combustion engined cars by 2050!!

I hope they see sense and allow enthusiasts to use their old show cars, but it wouldn't suprise me if there would be a complete ban for all CO2 tailpipe emitting vehicles!!

Interested to know the number of 3.4's that have had to be rebuilt once they get past the 100k mark.

Im in the market right now and most of the cars are around if not over the 100k mark and I realize nothing lasts for ever however are there other components that are considered to wear (chains / guides etc) that would necessitate a rebuild of sorts for the 3.4 mainly and also 3.6?

I don't mind buying higher miles cars as long as there looked after. I know of one guy on here who commented earlier that has had a full rebuild at 151k and needed a new crank etc but cant say Ive heard of anymore other than IMS issues or cracked heads.

I agree Bluebird, the time to use it is now, enjoy an older 911 while you can.

In the future fuel costs will rise further, roads will become more congested, there will be more high tech speed cameras & ANPR devices keeping us in check, speeding fines have already increased significantly and the tide is already turning on the internal combustion engine. Prices may well fall of a cliff for classic cars if legislation prevents them being driven on the road.

Come 2050 I will be 75 years and a nice safe hydrogen/electric car will be much more my cup of tea rather than a noisy uncomfortable 911, hopefully it will be worn out and worth something in scrap and I'll have some fond memories (subject to my level of Alzheimer's).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back