Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Torque to me

Zorro

Aside from the 993 my normal car is a 3.0 litre diesel Cayenne. It's just gone in to OPC Tonbridge to attend to an oil leak (boy am I glad I have the extended warranty, they are talking about £5,500 to fix the "upper sump"). Anyway at my request I have the 4.2 litre diesel Cayenne S (Platinum Edition) as a courtesy car. I like, I like, I like, there are just waves of surplus torque to waft you along the straight bits until the next bend. Bungee's spring to mind. In many respects it's very similar to the 3.0 litre, the handling and general internal appointment. This 17 reg model, however, has newer displays on the satnav etc, but it's the crushing mid range acceleration that I love. Still haven't worked out how to connect the music on my phone by Bluetooth though.

:hand: I take it this is the classic oil leak fault which shows the drip at the bottom of the bellhousing? Well reported in the US.

Despite it being a common fault, Porsche will not recall the 3.0D to fix it but rely on people having warranty, or 'may' offer a goodwill gesture :roll:

My Indy told me they will all leak at this spot given that no gasket was used (relying again on loctite). Whilst the gasket is cheap the 50-70hrs of labour aint as the engine and front suspension has to come out from the underneath requiring special tools :pc:

The moral is, check it's been done before you buy outside of OPC. If not get a warranty.

Torque matters. I though the 958 Cayenne was due a big revision so I'd be careful about putting my dough into current model and favour the Macan instead. That said the 4.2 diesel lump doesn't (allegedly) leak oil.

if you thought the extra capacity of the 4.2 in the current models is good, when the car was 1st reveal it had even more poke all the way up the range

still quick but if anyone finds an early 4.2, they are keepers

Having read previous posts I was aware of the potential oil leak issue. At the last MOT I had a good look underneath whilst the car was on the ramp and noticed a bit of a weep. However, when I went to renew the warranty the OPC picked up the leak straight away and booked me in, I guess it's more work for them, but paid for by the factory. I've just had four new and upgraded ABS sensors fitted under the warranty which would otherwise have been £500, so there's no way I would be wanting to run the car without a warranty. It's a very nice bit of kit, but the repairs are very lumpy.

Oil leak from the bell houseing is normally the intake pipe above the gearbox leaking and dripping onto the gearbox and running down .. and not the rear main as some garages have diagnosed .

Often stopped by tightening the jubilee clip on the lower side of the orange pipe .

The sump one is some very long threaded bolts holding 2 engine sections together .. when built the sealent didnt go all the way around the bolts so oil runs down the threads .

OPC way .. total engine strip and reseal the 2 parts .. cheaper way .. remove the bolts .. put sealent on the bolt and wind back in .. either will work but if you have warrenty then the first option is best .. if you dont then use my option :)

No idear why 4 abs sensors would fail .. 1 yes but not 4 :dont know:

Interesting reading that modern Porsche engineering failures are not limited to M96/7 engines. Is this a Porsche engine or a rework of VW/Audi 3 litre D & if so do A5's A7's & Toureg's have the same issues?

The bolt leak was caused as far as im aware by a machine in the factory not putting sealent both sides of the bolts on the o/s .. the oil sits against the thread on the bolts and will work its way down and drip .

Once discovered Porsche obviously corrected this issue in manufacture but there will be a range of vehicles that might have this fault .. maybe not all will leak .

I think its refered to as a machine has gone out of tolerance .

No idear on VW engines and ive never taken much interest in who the engine is from .. i just fix the faults :D

Anyone got a parts diagram showing the bolts demort is speaking about i have a drip at the bellhousing as above

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smiggles772
Back