Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

GTS Grand Tour!

weejimmy

Just back from our very own Grand Tour with my son! We did just over 1000 km in two days, taking in a Track Day at Donington Park, the Snake Pass, the Cat and Fiddle, the Evo Triangle, the LLanberis Pass, The Brecon Beacons and and a whole lot of excellent roads in between!

TheGrandTour.gif

My main conclusions are:
  • * Even with standard Coupe's -20mm the GTS just isn't harsh. There wasn't a single moment where I thought "I wish I'd gone for -10mm". That's a big deal and relief for me as I was VERY worried it would prove wearing. That's not the case at all! I'm not sure if I am just totally dialed into it now, or if it has softened a little as the miles have gone on (just over 2K miles now), but the ride is of zero concern now. It is taught, yet supple with a total absence of 'float'.

* Oh my, how good is it on track???!!! Last time I lapped Donington was in my race spec Caterham and the GTS felt just as bidable and nimble! It has power, braking and grip to spare. We really didn't push hard, but even so it was startling, perfect, astonishing and wonderful! Whilst we gave way to most things on track had I felt inclined to punish the tyres more through the bends I think we could have given some very expensive machinery a nose bleed!!!

* OMG it's fast. Did I mention that? Way faster than my 991.1 C4s was.

* The GTS interior is fantastic - even after 8 hours of driving! The alcantara is supple, grippy and just very comfy. You sit in the 18 ways rather than on them as as the case with my old 14 way leather seats in the C4s.

* I dont know if ifs being a '.2' versus my .1 C4s, or the rear wheel steering, or the -20mm PASM, or wider rims, or revisions to the steering, or the alcantara wheel, or the seats, or what it is. But the GTS is way more than the sum of its parts. What a package!

* Road wise we like the Cat and Fiddle and the Llanberis Pass the best.
My son is editing together some 4K footage of the trip, but for now here is us having a blast at Donington!

d2.jpg

We really didn't push hard...
Then shows a picture with the inside front almost off the ground! :lol:

Glad you're enjoying it - we took mine up to Anglesey to run it in and did a few of the roads you describe, though probably at a more sedate pace. No complaints from the Mrs about seat comfort with 3-4hr drives.

It's hard to describe how -ing fast this car is without experiencing it. The first time I went for it in Sport (not even Sport+) on my own on a quiet back road that I know well, I almost peed my pants. Yes, it accelerates as a car of that power should but it's the cornering and braking that are from an alternate reality.

Also, it's the eagerness of the machine when you point it down a ribbon of tarmac: the lumpier and bendier, the better! Many cars I've driven can go round corners adequately but you feel they are probably happier (as you are) on a fast, gentle sweeper. Not so the GTS; after a good couple of bends you can almost hear the car saying: 'pfah! Find me a REAL corner..."

I agree that on paper, the GTS spec isn't amazingly disparate from, say, an S but all those little changes and tweaks somehow accumulate to form something quite different. Incremental gains over the whole spectrum have created a quite distinct experience.

As soon as I get a moment I'm going to do some driver training with an expert as the car deserves better.

EdTheDuck said:
Not so the GTS; after a good couple of bends you can almost hear the car saying: 'pfah! Find me a REAL corner..."

Lol. Agree 100%. It seems to be saying "is that all you've got" doesn't it!

I was staggered at how good it was on track. It didn't feel out of place with some very extreme machinery.

d4.gif

d5.gif

My lad loved it - it was like a real life game of Grand Turismo or Forza!

d6.gif

d7.gif

d8.gif

I wish my Dad had taken me round a circuit in a Porsche... :(

But we had a lot of fun with the Scaletrix :D

EdTheDuck said:
I wish my Dad had taken me round a circuit in a Porsche... :(

But we had a lot of fun with the Scaletrix :D

The same on both counts!!!! :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads