Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Setting up the tracker

Rob325114

Hi all - I have just taken delivery of my new 2012 991 C2S (pictures will follow at some point, I promise) and have a few questions about the tracker.

I was given two little black flashing boxes with the car - which I believe are the tracker modules. How do these work logistically? Does the tracker need to be hidden in the car, or just held on my person - and the car has it's own tracking device hidden already?

Who do I need to contact to get these set up? Is it OPC, or a tracking firm, like vodafone etc?

What "category" are these trackers? My Insurance is insisting on category 6 or better - so hopefully they fit within that tolerance.

Thanks in advance!

As far as I know the tracker is monitored by Vodafone https://automotive.vodafone.co.uk/

The two 'fobs' you have are to carry in the car with you on every journey - or you will be alerted that your car has moved so you can report it stolen if that is true. The fobs must not be attached to the keys and must not be left in the car when it is parked.

You would have to ask what category of tracker yours is - or someone here will no doubt know and post here.

Not all insurers insist on the tracker being activated - depending on where you live and where the car is normally kept. I went with NFU and the tracker wasn't required - but you may wish the tracker to be on anyway.

vodafone took a perfectly good system (cobra) and made it *****.

I speak from bitter experience. I cannot get mine reactivated and have to go to a dealer for a hard re-set.

As above, cobra tacking were bought by Vodafone. It's a cobra if the fobs look like this. (Porsche VTS is the OPC word for it).

If you bought from an OPC they should have asked you to fill in the activation form, but you can call direct.

Had one on my RRS when car was stolen with the keys. tracker was not active, police called Vodafone and activated it, car found 20mins later (had to pay the subscription fee later that day of course). I am not saying to not activate it up front....but provides an option if your Insurance dont make it a condition....

You need the fob to show its an authorised driver moving the car.
Make sure you use a password that you and the regular drivers (wife etc) know, as usually you get 2 mins down the road before you get a call and realise you left the fob at home.

You can suppress activations for a limited time by calling Vodafone.

Batteries go on them, worth getting a spare.. CR2032 type.

Attachments

• image_939.jpeg
    image_939.jpeg
    95.7 KB · Views: 7,245
Perfect G2. That's exactly what I have. I have sent an email to Vodafone - so I'll see what they say.

Do you know what category this tracker maps to?

Sorry. No. Best to call them :) it's not the largest company you'll ever deal with.

Awaiting my call back - although they emailed this morning to say they are looking into it. Looking through the Vodafone website, I think the tracker is at least a Cat 6, and possibly a Cat 5:

CAT6:
Battery Back-Up
Bi-Directional Communication
Street Level Mapping
Police or Licensed Security Agreement
Positional Data Store
Illegal Motion Detection (Ignition off theft alert)
Driver Identification (Ignition on theft alert)
Approved Secure Operating Centre

Cat 5 (as above plus):
Engine Crank Inhibition (Remote Immobilisation)
Level 1 Police Response

Zeb said:
vodafone took a perfectly good system (cobra) and made it *****.

I speak from bitter experience. I cannot get mine reactivated and have to go to a dealer for a hard re-set.

You might find that you don't need a trip to a dealer

To the best of my knowledge, OPC's don't have any diagnostic equipment to test the tracker.

The trackers used GSM phone technology and have a spanish sim card, so that it can roam over all UK cellular network.

If the tracker hasn't been used for a couple of years they recycle the phone number to a new unit.
You have to remind Vodafone of this and they can reallocate the sim card no to a new phone number than they can reactivate the tracker , but it will take 2 days.

the staff at Cobra have been in my past experience absolutely atrocious

They can locate the car and perform a diagnostic remotely while you talk to them over the phone - they can also confirm/reassign the individual fobs too as long as you are near to the vehicle during the call.

Thanks all for your replies. Vodafone automotive were very responsive to questions and confirmed they could set it all up if I had the fobs with me, near the car, whilst on the phone to them. The cost is £217 for 1 year, or £585 for 3 years - if anyone is thinking of doing it.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back