Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

WARNING!! To any new potential 996 purchasers.

alex yates said:
I've just received the invoice off my trusted mechanic I use for servicing my 996 back in May and just wanted to share the costs with any potential 996 buyers so they know what they're getting themselves into with regards to running costs.

Yearly service to include oil, filters & plugs (only change every 3 yrs)

Parts------------------------------------------Cost

10l Mobil 1 New Life 0w50----------------£66.14
Hengst oil filter------------------------------£4.46
Hengst air filter------------------------------£9.45
Bosch spark plugs---------------------------£28.14

Labour----------------------------------------Cost

3hrs @ £30/hr (+VAT)-----------------------£108

TOTAL - £216.19

:)

Alex those cost are outrageous how can you own a 911 and be left will all that spare cash for visits to the pub etc.
I cant beat it, but my Porsche tech does come to my house or work to do everything service wise but for that privilege he does charge me £50ph and is not vat registered. :grin: So even us soft southerners are learning a thing or two about saving money from you canny northerners. :thumb: :thumb:

This has spurred me on to do my own oil change - I am due an annual change.
One question - can someone point me in the direction of the oil filter removal tool please.
There are loads on eBay for "Porsche oil filter removal" but do I need to pay the Porsche tax on this item or are there other (cheaper) ones that do the same job??

I could also do with changing the brake fluid - anyone's car to comment on whether a suitable DIY job?

Thanks in advance.

Changing brake fluid is a doable DIY job if you are confident and competent enough.

Typically it isn't difficult, just keep the res topped up and pump the fluid through with the pedal. A second pair of hands/feet is needed though.

rob_p said:
This has spurred me on to do my own oil change - I am due an annual change.
One question - can someone point me in the direction of the oil filter removal tool please.
There are loads on eBay for "Porsche oil filter removal" but do I need to pay the Porsche tax on this item or are there other (cheaper) ones that do the same job??

I could also do with changing the brake fluid - anyone's car to comment on whether a suitable DIY job?

Thanks in advance.

Just measure the filter housing and buy the one that fits.

Brake fluid is easy peasy if your nipples aren't stuck.

Tap each nipple straight down with a small hammer for 5 mins each before starting, chuck a kettle of boiling water on it. Douse in Plus gas.

DON'T use a spanner on the nipple.

Use a 6 sided socket and a T handle to apply perfect rotational moment to the nipple. A spanner will snap them off.

STW404.JPG

Remember there are 2 nipples per caliber.

A pressure bleeder makes light work. The type that suck from the nipple are best but don't let the fluid level drop.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bristolsparks
Back