Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

100K miles. Is yours above or below?

Mines 26k at the moment. At my current mileage rate I'll be 189 by the time I hit 100k miles. ..... but there is a downside.... I'll consume 3781 gallons of Meguiar's cleaning and polishing products. Drat! :lol:

@harv
@marky911

I see your points about aircooled nostalgia and they also needed rebuilds (mine had a £5500 jzm topend) but the point was they did this after plenty of use..

I'm interested in finding out about things outside the engine.. I looked at a car last week that was mechanical sound. It's bodybwork was also excellent but it's interior squeeked over every bump and looked well soiled!

The 964 didn't squeak and it's seats, plastics etc etc all aged really well. It felt bomb proof to me, the best car I've ever owned! It was solid.

The mechanical clunk of a door shutting or the way the dash just wouldn't rattle in my old car left me with an impression that Porsche are robust, you pay for it but it delivers.

My brother ownes the car below... it's lovely and feels amazing but gets driven in the dry for a couple of thousand km a year! Hardly a test of its build quality. EVO demonstrated with the 458 that it could be used everyday and rack on the miles without any bother.

Can you do this in the 996 & 997?

Before my current daily M3 i had a Lotus Evora.. Lovely thing but after 20k miles (30k miles in total) was showing signs of fatigue all over. Shocks squeek, Water ingress, Headlight lens peeling, seats dye fading, rubber seals looking grey and numerous other minor snags like the sat nav freezing. Sold it and bought an M3 that has been faultless and just hasn't aged a day aesthetically in 2.5 years and 20k miles.. it's solid and built out of quality materials! Great car but not me, I don't love it like the Evora or the 964.

Is the 996 and 997 a quality product? Will it do 150k miles and still feel good?

(Off topic - I know about the ims etc but will it last? I'm looking at 2004/05 996's and 2006 997's :thumb:)

Attachments

• img_8845_178.jpg
    img_8845_178.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 7,359
ragpicker said:
have you got a GT2 wing on yours Tom? Thinking of going down the GT2 route with mine... Finding a reasonable wing is a mission in itself!

Nope, thought about it but I replaced my spoiler hydraulics a few year back at great expense. Also if I did the rear I'd want to do the front too and that is pricey!

2004 C2 with 98k miles. Bought with 95k miles and with my eyes open. The car bodily and internally is like new and all the usual maintenance items RMS, IMS, coil units,tyres, condenser rads and boroscope tests done. Yes paid top money but bitter experience has taught me that bodywork and paint are more expensive than mechanical repair. Car drives like a new one and I hope to see 100k shortly.

My Turbo has a mere 39k on it. I'm scared to use it to seeing it going over 40k.. :D

My 997.1 has 99,993 miles on it at the moment.

Put 3k on it this year. Feels like a nearly new car with 20k. Replaced all the obvious bits - IMS, radiators and coil packs. The less obvious bits cost the most - coolant pipes and door seals are a lot more expensive than any IMS.

3point6 said:
My Turbo has a mere 39k on it. I'm scared to use it to seeing it going over 40k.. :D

Mine has just over 36k on it, but I don't mind putting on a few miles as it is getting a new engine and gearbox soon and had new susoension not long ago.

MC

MisterCorn said:
3point6 said:

Mine has just over 36k on it, but I don't mind putting on a few miles as it is getting a new engine and gearbox soon and had new susoension not long ago.

MC

Whaaaaat? Nowt serious then...??

Norfolk & Idea said:
MisterCorn said:
3point6 said:

MC

Whaaaaat? Nowt serious then...??

No, nothing wrong with it at all, just putting in an engine with a stronger bottom end and a stronger gearbox so I can run more boooost. :)

MC

Mines got 90,311 on the clock... At 47333 IMS went pop....The then owner had a brand new engine from porsche fitted... So I think that's 42,978 on the new engine :lol:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back