Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

100K miles. Is yours above or below?

Steve Gom

Just turned 100k miles on way home from work last night, car is early 996.1 C2. Bought it May 15 with 91k miles on the clock.
For a near 20 year old car that's well below average mileage, but how many of the forum with 3.4s are still yet to see 6 digits on the odometer?

Attachments

• image_530.jpeg
    image_530.jpeg
    92.7 KB · Views: 7,523
Bought my old 964 with 105k and sold it with 125k two years later... like an aeroplane will last forever as long as it's well maintained and driven sympathetically (that doesn't mean slow!)

Will be interested to read this thread.. so many people seem to be forced into not using cars in fear of devaluation or escalation in running costs!

996 and 997... are they like the old school aircoooled and will go on forever?!

I'd like to think so as I regularly see chauffeur Mercs with 500k on them....

Particularly interested as I'm looking at selling my M3 and getting into a high mile 997 that I can use everyday :)

Mines has done 152000 and had to be rebuilt around 151000ish, still drives and looks good though.

100K miles should no longer be thought of as the end of an engines life but it's still regarded as a negative point by so many people.

Our family work horse is a 2006 Ford C-Max which currently has 190K miles on the clock and much to my annoyance completely refuses to give up the ghost.

By comparison my C4S has 73K on the clock. This is the highest mileage I have ever had on my own car but I don't see it being a problem anytime soon.

Even as 996 values are slowly going up hope owners still use their cars the way they should be used rather than being scared to put miles on the car in case it is devalued. Just look at the number of air cooled cars with more than 100K miles and the huge money being asked.

Drive them and enjoy them and don't worry about the mileage.

:D

P/x'd my MY 2000 996 Turbo in Feb on 133,000...
Of which I done / covered 53,000 of those in the 2.5 yrs I owned it.. :D
Cars are 'built' to be 'driven',not stored away...

My Boxster is on 145k miles and is honestly running like new. Sure I've rebuilt all the running gear but the engine (replaced at 20-30k miles due to IMS failure) is absolutely mint. Oil analysis last month showed absolutely no sign of wear whatsoever, and this is an engine that spends most of its life over 5k rpm when warm.

The turbo is on 75k miles, currently being rebuilt for futureproofing due to its power but I expect that to outlast me once its done.

Fabulous cars these porkers, and even the M96 engines are really something if maintained well.

:thumb:

BK911 said:
Will be interested to read this thread.. so many people seem to be forced into not using cars in fear of devaluation or escalation in running costs!

996 and 997... are they like the old school aircoooled and will go on forever?

People are being over nostalgic or wearing rose tinted specs if they think the old aircooled cars went on forever without any cash, attention or love thrown at them. The bottom end of those engines were perhaps more robust but the top end had lots of failure modes but it was easier to perform a repair especially with removable barrels and pistons which left the bottom end untouched.

My 911 SC was rotten at 16 years old when I got it in 1997 and needed wings, sills and kidney bowls, the gearbox was tired and synchro went on 2nd gear and it had a tired top end and broken head stud.

By comparison there's zero rust my 15 year old 996 and I think these are better built cars but for some they are expected to last forever. I suspect half the issue was the base cars buy in price .

Edited to say my 996 is on 120k (engine is being rebuilt).

My '98 C2 is on around 60k miles, it only gets to do a few k miles a year now. I replaced all of the suspension with the M030 kit and all new arms not long ago and it drives very nicely.

MC

Exactly what Harv says. Aircooled were worn out by 100k in a lot of cases, with the only exception being the 993 sometimes.

Early cars pre 3.2 Carrera would snap headstuds and had the truly awful 915 gearbox. I can overlook the box though as they are very old cars and most cars of that era (1970's) aren't that dynamic anymore.

3.2 Carreras would wear out top ends and rings.

964s leak like a sieve and would also just wear out.

Thing is the aircooled stuff above would wear out gradually so you see them at shows looking beautiful and think all is well, yet they're actually weezy old buses that are well down on power and leave oil puddles where ever they're parked.
I'm taking about cars that haven't had a rebuild yet obviously.
996 unfortunately let go more suddenly sometimes so it seems worse.
All the above isn't to be said for every single car but it goes for most that get over 100k...
And don't get me started on faded paint, rotten metal work etc. :wink:

You can't beat them for looks and character though and a 930 or 964T is still the car I think of when I think Porsche.
No such thing as a free ride. They're all gonna cost you one way or another.

Back on topic my car is on 75.5k miles (engine has covered 65k). 1998 C2.
Bought on 74k in March 2016.
It's the least I've ever used a car due to my ongoing house renovation.
I could do less on the house as it's just outside stuff now such as gardens and planting but I like seeing the house come together and would rather be completely finished before moving onto car. Home comes first.

I've got the car so the hard part is done. At least when I have time for it I don't need to start searching for one.

Mine's a year 2000 C4 that has just turned 90K last week. Bought it with 30k on nine years ago, and even though it runs really well and owes me nothing, I think I will move it on next summer after a Continental trip we have planned.

My experience with cars that have gone past 100k, and I have owned a few, is that they require constant replacement and maintenance. I had a BMW with about 110k miles on that needed new piston rings, others that have required big end and bottom bearings replaced. Camshafts with the hardening worn away, refurbished carburettors etc. None of these actually let me down in any way, but to pass the MOTs it was necessary to have the work carried out.

The trade are a conservative lot (they are in it to make a living) and remember stories like the above from 100k cars. After all, they have to warrant a car they sell, so dependent on their Insurance / warranty terms or their own personal views, they will not take risks.

This depresses the market which leave good pickings for private individuals who are prepared to live with this or are lucky with good high milers.

I have been looking for something different for a few years to replace my 996 (M6 V10, SL55, new Boxster GTS / Spyder), but after nine years I think I'm due a change and at 92 - 93k by then, the time may be right.

100K miles should no longer be thought of as the end of an engines life but it's still regarded as a negative point by so many people.

Our family work horse is a 2006 Ford C-Max which currently has 190K miles on the clock and much to my annoyance completely refuses to give up the ghost.

By comparison my C4S has 73K on the clock. This is the highest mileage I have ever had on my own car but I don't see it being a problem anytime soon.

Even as 996 values are slowly going up hope owners still use their cars the way they should be used rather than being scared to put miles on the car in case it is devalued. Just look at the number of air cooled cars with more than 100K miles and the huge money being asked.

Drive them and enjoy them and don't worry about the mileage.

:D

117K on mine so nearly run in. About to shove another 3k on it next week. MOT'd yesterday and apart from my front tyres getting near the limit, passed with flying colours :)

Mines sitting on 99,600... won't be long now! To be fair though the instrument cluster is one of the few things on my car that is not new lol

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back