Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Would you buy this 996?

My car's just back from my local indie after some routine jobs. Mileage now 99,960 following a decent shake down run to ensure alls well with the new gear linkage cables and new rear disc shield.

Car drove impeccably, but in less than 50 miles it'll be the wrong side of 100k.
Even after a further 10-20k miles, which could take me 3-4 years, I can't see this changing dramatically, yet most potential buyers will dismiss a car when browsing the classifieds, just purely down to the mileage. Bonkers!!

I've always bought high mileage cars but that's generally because I'm always right on the limit of getting into the model I want, hence scraping the barrel budget wise.
It's also because I buy German cars (or old Volvos) and most nineties and noghties models from those manufacturers will last 300k miles with only routine work.

The one time I've let mileage rank high on my list though was when shopping for my 996 C2. I've said it before but Hartech say it too, once you get over 100k, certainly 120k+ things are starting to wear. There's always an exception like Poppops (which isn't standard anyway) but generally worn crankshaft bearings and oval bores MAY be setting in.
No problem if you're happy to rebuild the motor quite soon into ownership but with all that in mind I wanted the best chance possible of hopefully getting a few trouble free years while I perfect the car in all the other areas, before having to to fork out for engine work.
My car has 75k on the clock but the engine has only covered 65k due to replacement because of an earlier IMS bearing failure.

I fully appreciate it could drop a valve, crack a head, D chunk a pot etc but I felt happier holding out for a sub 80k car.

As far as everything else goes though I'm happy to admit it needs everything a 100k car does. Rads, condensers, waterpump, some suspension bushes etc as these are all affected by age as much as miles when they're 20 years old so there's no benefit to buying lower mileage with regards to that.

I personally would go for the Silver car first then add the Aerokit if I wanted that look (which I do). Then you have a low mileage car in the spec you want for a smidge over £20k if you're a little bit lucky. You can do it gradually but end up with a car with almost half the mileage which will sell much quicker should you ever need out of it in a hurry.

Just my 2p worth and it's only because of the faults of the M96 engine that I couldn't take my usual "high miles is fine" approach. There are too many faults than can render the car worthless.

Edited to add - I haven't even started my car up for about two months, so you know it's going to go bang when I start using it. :grin:

alex yates said:
Nice car, although for your budget I'd be buying GT4s car off here. A 997, same mileage and ticks all the boxes!

http://911uk.com/ads_item.php?id=7797

+1 On GT4's 997 very good buy for the money :thumb:

I hadn't seen he was selling it... is he returning to the aircooled crew :?: Are we going to have a guess GT4's new car thread?

OP sorry for the thread hiJack :)

One of these:

a4csQ2dT.jpeg

paul987 said:
I hadn't seen he was selling it... is he returning to the aircooled crew :?: Are we going to have a guess GT4's new car thread?

My guess is that his next Porsche could be a Cayenne.

Clue

Marky911 said:
The one time I've let mileage rank high on my list though was when shopping for my 996 C2. I've said it before but Hartech say it too, once you get over 100k, certainly 120k+ things are starting to wear. There's always an exception like Poppops (which isn't standard anyway) but generally worn crankshaft bearings and oval bores MAY be setting in.
No problem if you're happy to rebuild the motor quite soon into ownership but with all that in mind I wanted the best chance possible of hopefully getting a few trouble free years while I perfect the car in all the other areas, before having to to fork out for engine work.
My car has 75k on the clock but the engine has only covered 65k due to replacement because of an earlier IMS bearing failure.

I fully appreciate it could drop a valve, crack a head, D chunk a pot etc but I felt happier holding out for a sub 80k car.

As far as everything else goes though I'm happy to admit it needs everything a 100k car does. Rads, condensers, waterpump, some suspension bushes etc as these are all affected by age as much as miles when they're 20 years old so there's no benefit to buying lower mileage with regards to that.

I personally would go for the Silver car first then add the Aerokit if I wanted that look (which I do). Then you have a low mileage car in the spec you want for a smidge over £20k if you're a little bit lucky. You can do it gradually but end up with a car with almost half the mileage which will sell much quicker should you ever need out of it in a hurry.

Just my 2p worth and it's only because of the faults of the M96 engine that I couldn't take my usual "high miles is fine" approach. There are too many faults than can render the car worthless.

Edited to add - I haven't even started my car up for about two months, so you know it's going to go bang when I start using it. :grin:

That's a fair point, with my budget im looking at stuff that is around or above the 100k mark so it's a risk to take. Saying that I think it's worth it.

I'm on 117k and next Saturday I'm gonna rag the hell out of it driving down the South of France for 2 weeks..........and you know what, it's gonna love it!!

T8 said:
paul987 said:

My guess is that his next Porsche could be a Cayenne.

Clue

Thanks T8 :thumb:

Wow I never imagined him as the caravaning type :?: Trying to stay a 50mph with 380hp should be fun though :hand: :lol:

Y2K said:
Re: the first car, read this and make up your own mind.

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=120&t=1345805&i=20

I remember watching a BBC programme about Williams Motor Co. (Watchdog or Rogue Trader)

This. Glad someone else got there before I did.

The car itself looks fantastic and great value. Too good to be true?...

But the vendor (assuming it is the same as referred to above) has a terrible reputation. That car may or may not check out. The history may or may not be real (or available). But what are the terms of the sale? Is the car owned and stocked or a commission sale? Has/will the owner been/be paid? If you hand over the money would you even own the car?...

In answer to your question NO!

If I were still looking I'd be having a gander at the 2 cars at FGP. They seem to be getting a steady flow of early cars and are in the process of building up a decent reputation, so you are likely to be looked after in the event of something going pear shaped. His prices don't seem excessive either although they are gradually creeping up.

Thanks guys.

It just goes to show how invaluable a forum such as this can be!

I will keep looking.

To be honest, I need to wait about one more month before getting too serious anyways, so at least I can stop obsessing over this particular car.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back