Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Coolant leak 997.1

Adsum

At the last service, which included a water pump replacement, was told that the car had a small coolant leak from the front cross over pipes, however in less than 500miles I've had to top up with a litre of water so guessing the leak has got worse! Anyone know where the front cross over pipes are located and what's involved in fixing this type of leak?
Any advice would be much appreciated

Fairly common issue on these cars, the coolant hoses are a poor design IMO.

You have to replace the affected pipes, a few people have posted on here about the same thing.

Keep your fingers crossed the rear pipes are OK as they are an engine out job and ££££

Unfortunately the front cross over pipes are not cheap either .I had to replace them on my 997.1 and you have to drop the steering rack or other component I believe.
The pipes and hoses corrode together which to be honest is poor on a car of this quality.
After the repair be prepared for a few top ups as its not easy to purge the cooling system with the rads and engine opposite ends of the car.

Theres x2 pipes at the front one is plastic the other is aluminium .. the rubber pipes that connect to these corrode and thats where they leak ..

These pipes cross from n/s/f to o/s/f and the rubber pipes connect to the radiator each side .

If its the plastic pipe then the rubber hose might be able to be replaced on its own .. if its the aluminium one then its a much bigger job as you wont get it out .

To replace then its subframe down , rack is unbolted from the subframe so it stays in place but hanging .. a rough guess on the parts is something like £500 with about 5 hours labour depending on what comes undone .

Normally the fixings for the pipes break , sometimes they will need drilling out so a labour time is a little difficult to quote .

Attachments

• 845ec76ced869ab6de8fa1f8ef17cf21_324.jpg
    845ec76ced869ab6de8fa1f8ef17cf21_324.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 3,720
Anger a couple of sets of these in the past. & they are a bit of a ballache.
If you have a ramp they are easier but I guess they could be done on jacks / stands.
When I did mine, I'm sure it only cost around the £150-200 mark for the parts.
It can be done by lowering the front sub frame on the bolts without having to drop it completely. It's a fiddly job, but not impossible to do DIY.

Done both a 997 turbo & Cayman without any issues. Just be aware that the coolant needs to be vacuumed back into the system to fill it properly without the risk of hot spots in the engine. If you have a compressor, the vac system can be had cheap enough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back