Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Removing Gen 2 PSE Exhaust Tailpipes...?

Paul Farrar

Silverstone
My Gen 2 Carrera S has PSE, therefore the twin tail pipes with the painted cover.

I can get the painted covers off - no problem. I can also loosen the captive 'clamp' that holds the twin tailpipes onto the exhaust itself. Indeed, I have taken the bolt completely out of the clamp, to gain maximum movement.

However, although the tailpipes are now completely loose, and can be rotated a few degrees so they're clearly free of the exhaust itself, there is no way I seem to be able to pull them off the exhaust, despite lots of lubrication, wiggling and pulling!

I just want them off to give them a good clean. Can anyone advise please...?

If it's a similar arrangement to the gen 1 tips then they have an o ring/olive between them and the exhaust pipe. You have to open up the clamp on the tips and then give them a good wiggle!

Thanks for the suggestion. My 993 S had the olive type arrangement, but this 997 Gen 2 definitely doesn't. I must be missing something....! I'll have another look tomorrow.

Paul Farrar said:
Thanks for the suggestion. My 993 S had the olive type arrangement, but this 997 Gen 2 definitely doesn't. I must be missing something....! I'll have another look tomorrow.

Are you sure there are no olives? They are used to enable adjustment and alignment. As josh says, you need to open the captive clamp with a flat screwdriver to ease them off. If the olive is a bit tight the action of pulling them off can make them grip more!

Squirting some WD40 or aerosol grease into the joint might help.

Thanks. I'll have another look tomorrow and see how I get on.

I've got the same issue, gave up in the end.

There is definitely some kind of ring around the inner pipe that stops the tips from coming off, there's a slit in the ring that seems like it's there to loosen it but I can't work out how.

Agreed. As you say, there are 2 slots in the rear of the tailpipe, but no amount of prying with flat bladed screwdrivers etc would open them sufficiently to take the tailpipes off.

In the end, I cleaned them in situ, as there is still reasonable access....!

It is the same issue with the Gen1, they can be a real bu@@er to take of. The split olive is a really snug fit so you need to pry open the tip sleeve as much as you can, not easy but it can be done. Try and get some lubricant between, I used a combination of WD40 and some aerosol copper grease. A few whacks with a rubber mallet from behind might help too!

i have recently removed my tips which are the same on the GTS albeit a different color, at first i faced the same issue but with plenty of WD-40 and as already suggested prizing open the tip they do come off in the end, took a lot more effort than i was expecting.

the one question i do have though is regarding refitting? so i assume its the reverse of removal. i had one of the olives break up when i finally got them off and whilst i understand that's a common issue i just wonder how the olive stays in place when all cleaned up and trying to fit the tip over it?

any hints or suggestions appreciated.

I had 9excellence take mine off and paint them. Lazy yes, but much easier than trying to sort it out yourself!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back