Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

maybe time for a change.

alex yates said:
S5 or MKII XKR would be top of my list there. You can even bag an SL55 amg for that money.

SL55 AMG is an absolute hoot, but much more a GT than a sports car. So much torque it is unbelievable.

MC

Maserati 3200 GT? Never driven one but always liked the look. I scratched the v8 itch in a BMW 550i, its an itch worth scratching thats for sure...

Shame the M3 is a no no, genuine bargain these days, sure you have looked but what about B7 RS4? look great sounds lovely always a car i fancied but never got round to owning, rock solid residuals too if that's a bonus, AMG V8's sound the best but apart from owning a 2013 C63 a few years back its the only merc i ever owed, tended to lean towards the M3's, it was very thirsty! :eek:

Lexus IS-F?? rare beast and a nice 5.0 V8

alex yates said:
996 vs. big saloon car - not even in the same stratosphere. I've owned an A6 quattro (V6) and a BMW 850i (V12) and they couldn't be any further apart from the 996. If you want to waft around on motorways all day then the S8 is puuuurfect, but if you like having a blast round your country B-roads, then forget about it.

911 on a B-road? Not my first choice of car! If you want something for B roads you need a hot hatch or rally rep, both will leave you for dust.

V8 wise in budget:

Cerbera are quick, costly to maintain though.
C63 for the noise!
B7 RS4

Had an S8 and they are lovely, but huge, and have ok handling, but more barge like than I would have liked. Interior comfort is amazing

1st Gen V10TT RS6 ?

Bit lighter, faster, and handle a little better. Gearboxes tend to be a bit fragile, but easily rebuilt. Honest fun, and madness like no other. Newer versions are better, but less mad.

If its a future classic you want, 6.0 litre V12 Bi-Turbo CL65 AMG (2004-2006)

196 made, and acceleration that actually hurts, destined to become worth a fortune, fairly close to fault free. Wet myself with laughter at every round about ;-)

I was comparing a big V8 saloon to a 996 on a B-road and there's no competition, not what's the fastest thing from A to B on a B-road. My mate has a remapped A5 tdi quattro which is pretty similar on acceleration as the 996 and he states there's no way he can keep up on the twistys. By the way - which unmodified hot hat will leave the 996 for dust?

I run a 2016 310 BNP Audi s3 and 996 C4s . basically the Audi is quicker until the roads open up and you can see were you're going :driving:

So managed to get a test drive of a 2010 manual S5 and the clutch pedal was way to far to the right for me, 6 mile test drive round town + some NSL roads and my left leg was aching from shifting, it also felt very bargy so that's off my list.

My brother had a B7 rs4 avant and it was a nightmare although he does have a habit of buying lemons when I don't supervise him.

It will need to live outside year round and be driven in the winter so a TVR is a no go.

The mercs do nothing for me and the atrocious build quality of one I had as a company vehicle a few years ago has put me off them.

My 996 is a toy, we already have a 4 door beater civic and wifey has an 09 mx5 so its a sports car I'm after.

TBH I'll probably end up keeping my 996 for another few years then go for a 997 or loose the plot and buy one of the new v8 mustangs

I contemplated selling my C2 18 months ago. I wanted something that was a bit more practical.
I test drove a 550 msport and loved it. Trouble was when I managed to drive the Porsche I loved that too.
Solution. ........ Buy the BMW and keep the Porsche.
Best of both worlds. Happy days :thumbs:

MisterCorn said:
alex yates said:
S5 or MKII XKR would be top of my list there. You can even bag an SL55 amg for that money.

SL55 AMG is an absolute hoot, but much more a GT than a sports car. So much torque it is unbelievable.

MC

I was thinking of getting an sl500 pre 2006 for the Mrs but got put off by the suspension issues... Is it as bad as they say? I was looking at maybe replacing the suspension to coil overs but then they say there needs to be sway bars. How reliable are the sl's?

alex yates said:
I was comparing a big V8 saloon to a 996 on a B-road and there's no competition, not what's the fastest thing from A to B on a B-road. My mate has a remapped A5 tdi quattro which is pretty similar on acceleration as the 996 and he states there's no way he can keep up on the twistys. By the way - which unmodified hot hat will leave the 996 for dust?

Hey, I love my 996, but its a bit too wide to hustle down B roads. M140/240/A45/golf R/RS focus will unfortunately show an aging N/A 996 a clean pair even in standard trim. Turbocharged cars are making much more torque, those 1ers are a 6cyl 3.0 turbo, they're more than a match!

Suggest you do your homework - all those hatches are wider than a 996 :thumb:

996 Carrera - 1765 / 4430 / 1305
M140i - 1765 / 4324 / 1411

Fair enough, I own a turbo and it feels a lot wider from the seat. I think seat position will have a big effect.

A caterham is significantly smaller than either, but they are terrible down B roads due to visibility.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back