Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Air box 'trumpet' question

TobesEtc

I think there's a drain hole at the bottom of the elbow.

It shouldn't be too difficult to drill one if there isn't.

There's certainly a drain hole in the air box cover itself...

Porsche-993-Air-Box-99311003002-222425169911-2-500x500.jpg

Figures, thanks.

yes there is a small collecting well and a drain hole (bought mine from OPC). to fit you have to remove the existing small funnel and the internal duct, easiest to heat the cover up first :thumb:

Attachments

• airbox_snorkel_135.jpg
    airbox_snorkel_135.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 6,832
what NottsRS said

this is what the underside of the item looks like

with 2 drainage holes at the bottom

Attachments

• 2017_08_04_14_45_12_186.jpg
    2017_08_04_14_45_12_186.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 6,787
After talking to Colin Belton at 9m I took it off, he reckon's it does nothing at all for a NA. The engine fan blasts all the warm air out ot the engine compartment and it kept coming loose, the FVD one listed for a 993 will not fit, it is for a 964 airbox. There could also be a disturbance to the clutch ventilation pipe as the interior airflow is different.
Perhaps it works better with the CS wing.

Endoman said:
After talking to Colin Belton at 9m I took it off, he reckon's it does nothing at all for a NA. The engine fan blasts all the warm air out ot the engine compartment and it kept coming loose, the FVD one listed for a 993 will not fit, it is for a 964 airbox. There could also be a disturbance to the clutch ventilation pipe as the interior airflow is different.
Perhaps it works better with the CS wing.

in fairness to Colin that's doesn't just 'a reckoning' for this application

the OEM Porsche part fits, of course it's just a plastic piece fitted onto another plastic so don't expect a clinical cabin finish

since it's there to 'better direct' cold air into the airbox and avoid the hot air build up from within the engine bay that occurs as speeds rise with a fixed rear spoiler

sure the differences will be relative and more so at high speed, but there is a reason why Porsche have this on the RS and Turbo models

Trumpet doesn't fit the sport airbox because the chrome effect bit is where the trumpet connects.

Ideas?

You pull the chromed bit out ref:-
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/pcar_com/intake_temp_test2.htm
There is much chat about it on rennlist forum. In practice it makes very little difference, It is a turbo part allowing air to enter without going through the intercooler . It was not standard fitment on the RS. cutting away lots of the filter cover make things worse regarding intake temp but increase induction noise.

Endoman said:
You pull the chromed bit out ref:-
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/pcar_com/intake_temp_test2.htm
There is much chat about it on rennlist forum. In practice it makes very little difference, It is a turbo part allowing air to enter without going through the intercooler . It was not standard fitment on the RS. cutting away lots of the filter cover make things worse regarding intake temp but increase induction noise.

useful link

with this at the bottom

P.S.

993 NA owners with the factory retractable tail will not to be concerned about this. If you look closely at your grill in relation to the intake opening you will understand what I mean. Also when the tail is extended out there is a plastic wall in the back of the tail that directs cold air to enter the intake opening.

This addition is mainly for 993 NA cars with a fix tail installed on their 993. I do recommend this addition to be added to your 993 to ensure that you get as much cold air entering the intake as possible. as a reference (For every 10 degree change in air temperature there is 1% change in power)

The air temperature at the filter does not affect the turbo car in the same way as it does in a non-turbo car. This is due to the turbochargers ability to partially compensate by spinning faster and still compressing the same amount of air regardless of temperature.

Useful links there, thank you.

I'll be damned if I can get the snorkel out without damaging the main cover, so may try again at the weekend, as the horn seems like the sensible mod whereas the sports/sound box... has at least been fitted OK.

Will try the remove the snorkel from the old cover and use that with the trumpet.

^^ as mentioned previously it's easier to dismantle when warm, so either take the car for a hot run or put the airbox cover in the oven...but not too hot or on grill setting!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back