Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

maybe time for a change.

mobile chicane

I've owned my 2003 996.2 c4 for over 5 years now and I kinda fancy a change.

I need to scratch the v8 itch and at present the only thing on my radar is an Audi S8.

I've yet to drive one however the second hand dealers I have approached have been offering between 9 and 10 K trade in for my car.

Now my c4 does have 115k miles but it also has 5 years northway history including a precautionary ims bearing replacement at 95k if memory serves and a clutch at the same time.

has anyone moved to or from an S8 and if so how does it compare to the 996.2 ?

Hi Mobile Chicane,

I've never been a big fan of big super saloons, but would anticipate this is quite a change from a 996! I would say try as many as you can and go for it!

After giving a lot of thought about what I could move to after my 996, I am scratching a V10 itch and have been testing an M6 V10. Super fast and super sound and like 996s, great value for money. I reckon the best £/bhp ration you can get. Of course, like a 996, they are cheap for a reason - bottom end bearing shells gone after 90k and valves that can drop at any time.

if you want an experience close to a 996 thrill, perhaps a M5 V10 would be closest!

I am seriously looking at an M6 at the moment as well. If I got one I would be changing the big end bearings first thing, not too hard a job.

MC

996 vs. big saloon car - not even in the same stratosphere. I've owned an A6 quattro (V6) and a BMW 850i (V12) and they couldn't be any further apart from the 996. If you want to waft around on motorways all day then the S8 is puuuurfect, but if you like having a blast round your country B-roads, then forget about it.

MisterCorn said:
I am seriously looking at an M6 at the moment as well. If I got one I would be changing the big end bearings first thing, not too hard a job.

MC

The power, its delivery and the technology is fantastic. With elements of BMW's F1 programme and the BMW engine in the F1 Mclaren, you won't see an affordable NA engine like the V10 again.

Since I started looking seriously about 6 months ago, many of the motoring mags have been running articles on them which seems timely!

The m6 v10 is an amazing car. I have always loved the engine sound and performance. The only things which scare me are the reliability issues and the very very poor mpg to a smaller degree. But if you are comfortable with those then they are very good performance value. I had a bit of a rolling straight line race with an e60 m5 v10 and even though I did leave him by quite a distance it's performance was very respectable :thumbs:

this is the irritating thing there just isint a v8 sports car out there they are all large saloons, I suspect i will find the S8 less nippy than the 996.

I dont like the looks of the M6.

the only other option is a maserati or an aston both of which are way to expensive

XKR, SL500, there's plenty of V8 sports cars out there.

I went to Wales a few weeks back for a hoon across the Brecon Beacons and had fun on some roads with a few nice cars passing me at full chat and the stand out car for me was an F-Type....the noise as it went past was sublime and that was only the V6! I went to the showroom the day after to look at the V6 and the V8, second hand I think they are decent value and i think they sound amazing. I could be tempted away from Porsche for one at a later date.

Edit... XKR for even less money gotta be worth a look ;)

Monkeynutz said:
I went to Wales a few weeks back for a hoon across the Brecon Beacons and had fun on some roads with a few nice cars passing me at full chat and the stand out car for me was an F-Type....the noise as it went past was sublime and that was only the V6! I went to the showroom the day after to look at the V6 and the V8, second hand I think they are decent value and i think they sound amazing. I could be tempted away from Porsche for one at a later date.

Edit... XKR for even less money gotta be worth a look ;)

I read this a few weeks ago comparing second-hand 911 and the F-Type.

https://www.whatcar.com/news/used-porsche-911-vs-jaguar-f-type/

I have had a few V8 Bmw M3's not so long ago, one was the rarer saloon and first one being the coupe, i personally loved them both sounds really nice still 'small' ish and handle nice too.

Sorry i don't know your budget but these can be purchased fairly cheaply now, just a few things to check otherwise decent 2nd hand bargains now.

ok update time and more info.

my budget is my car + £5 to £8 K so a total of maybe £21k if I sell private for £13k (rather optomistic I know)

I like the idea of an BMW M3 but where I live they have an image problem and seem to attract the roid rager crowd + they get stolen a lot.

I had a look at an M6 in the mettal and I just dont like the looks.

The Jag F type is out of my budget and the older xkr has an interoir that I dont like. ( I know fussy fussy fusy)

I'm still trying to find an audi S5 to test drive but not having much luck.

I wont own anything by mercedes for reasons I wont go into on here (cough 9 month old mercedes with tin worm cough)

I may end up keeping the 996 for a nother 2-5 years then upgrading to a 997 or a much later cayman.

it all depends on the S5 test drive.

S5 or MKII XKR would be top of my list there. You can even bag an SL55 amg for that money.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back