Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

987 Cayman S warm start problems.

G5RPP

Hi all, not only is this my first post in a forum but it's also my first Porsche, I have recently purchased a 2005 Cayman s with 55k. I have a problem with starting it after the engine has warmed up and been slowed to cool for around half n hour it struggles to restart. It cranks over to many times but eventually starts. I'd read so bits online and people seem to have had some success changing the coolant temp sensor so that was my first port of call, I've also changed all plugs and coil packs and I'm not sure what to try next.... any thoughts? :?:

Welcome :)

Its probably going to be the crank position sensor .. ive just done this on a 996 with the same symptoms ( although i couldn,t replicate it .. typical lol ) .

Standard fault is non starting when hot and it has to be left to cool down and then it will start so yours would sound like the early part of it failing .

First start with any fault though really is to have the fault codes checked as that will point you in the right direction .

Temp sensor would give incorrect fueling and so it would try and start or more likely run but rough .

:useless:

Thanks Demort,

I've got a guy looking into this today, keep you posted. :bandit:

What are the chances, recognise your plate/log in from my street.

I spoke to you on Friday as I was washing mine!

The return of Marty Wild said:
What are the chances, recognise your plate/log in from my street.

I spoke to you on Friday as I was washing mine!

Yeah what a coincidence. Yours always puts mine to shame, might wash it a bit later, then again I might just go for a beer instead. :thumbs:

In fairness, white is so so easy to keep clean compared to black or dark cars!

Beers or car washing.... that's a tough one!

Let us know when you get your niggles sorted.

Demort said:
Welcome :)

Its probably going to be the crank position sensor .. ive just done this on a 996 with the same symptoms ( although i couldn,t replicate it .. typical lol ) .

Standard fault is non starting when hot and it has to be left to cool down and then it will start so yours would sound like the early part of it failing .

First start with any fault though really is to have the fault codes checked as that will point you in the right direction .

Temp sensor would give incorrect fueling and so it would try and start or more likely run but rough .

So it really annoys me when I'm reading through forum threads and when you get to the end the guy/girl with the problem doesn't let you know how the fault was sorted, having moaned about it for months I thought i'd better let you know that in the end my hot starting issue was a faulty MAF sensor, three injectors were replaced at the same time and she's starting first time every time. :)

Excellent , thanks for replying .

As you say it is needed for future reference and to be honest i never know if im right or not if people dont say and yes i do learn from reading here .

Strange items to replace in one go though .. im struggleing with the maf as it should have had other driveing faults but it is indeed possible .

I would lean more towards the injectors but you have been unlucky there .. very rare to get an injector fault .. i only see the occasional one on 20 + year old cars !

Its fixed though :thumb:

Update on progress:

Monday - finally got round to fitting a new camshaft position sensor. Only did the passenger side as that was the first one I found and I wanted to see if the fault went, or if I'd need to try the other side too.

Tuesday - Made it out for some test driving! Yay! A few shorter runs then a blast up the motorway (right into a sodding camera van but that's a different story). Behaved beautifully and started on the button every time.

Wednesday - Short drive of about 30 mins through heavy traffic then parked up for five minutes. Went to restart and .... hesitation... then klank klank klank klank klank and a *massive* cloud of white smoke. Recovered to OPC Brooklands where is is currently sat in a puddle of it's own coolant waiting to be looked at. Bumsocks.

Aaaaand I just realised this was not my post asking basically the same question. #threadhijack

That doesn't sound good, sorry to hear that!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back